Wood Id please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
Merry Christmas Everyone!

I've been burning this for a week and I can't figure out what it is. This was scrounged a couple years ago. Very straight grain, easy to split but still pretty heavy despite 15-20% moisture. Bark is thick and can't be removed(easily) after 2 years drying. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• Wood Id please!
    work pictures.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 843
looks like locust ..it also has a resemblance to cottonwood but it would be noticably light in weight

I think the coloring is askew from the camera. Could be honey locust. Take a different picture. Spit it again and get an end shot too.

looks like some kind of conifer to me (pine)?

Here's pics after splitting one piece. It's not pine for sure(I saw the leaves but I don't remember what they looked like) and I thought locust had a yellow/green color when split (this does not). Coloring is light when split. I thought it was ash when I picked it up.??

Attachments

• Wood Id please!
    work pictures 001.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 692
  • Wood Id please!
    work pictures 002.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 702
bsa0021 said:
Here's pics after splitting one piece. It's not pine for sure(I saw the leaves but I don't remember what they looked like) and I thought locust had a yellow/green color when split (this does not). Coloring is light when split. I thought it was ash when I picked it up.??
One pic w/flash, one with flood light.

bsa0021 said:

silver maple

smokinjay said:
bsa0021 said:

silver maple
Doesn't silver maple have thin bark that's scalely and pieces can be pulled off? This has deep fissures and it can't be pulled off, even when dry.

bsa0021 said:
smokinjay said:
bsa0021 said:

silver maple
Doesn't silver maple have thin bark that's scalely and pieces can be pulled off? This has deep fissures and it can't be pulled off, even when dry.

silver maple looks different just depending on what part of tree. I am not 100 percent white oak would be another good guess.

if I had to bet, my money would be on silver maple.

I can't tell.

bsa0021 said:

ash , MMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Some of u guys r usually good at ids but eye thinx u may have had 2 much egg nod last nite! :roll:

Looks like sugar maple,the grain has an ash look but I still say sugar maple. If we had smellervision I'd know for sure ... Happy Holidays .....ID this wood!

Attachments

• Wood Id please!
    aa 017.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 635
interchangabLEE said:
bsa0021 said:

ash , MMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Some of u guys r usually good at ids but eye thinx u may have had 2 much egg nod last nite! :roll:

your right but still doesnt look like ash to me...

Ja, if the bark holds on when dry then it's most likely Ash. Bark looked a bit coarse but then it's hard to get a sense of scale without a beer next to it.

RAMSAY said:
Looks like sugar maple,the grain has an ash look but I still say sugar maple. If we had smellervision I'd know for sure ... Happy Holidays .....ID this wood!

DRY!

I think the bark looks like Black Locust. The color is a little hard to figure out because of the lighting, but most wood will look sort of grey after two years so color isn't all that useful a clue.

mobetter said:
RAMSAY said:
ID this wood!
DRY!
That is a common misconception. Heavy checking usually means the wood shrunk on the ends but has not yet shrunk at the core. When it's dry all the way through, the checking is less pronounced. The exception is wood that is exposed to the elements and so frequently gets wet. The cell structure eventually breaks down. Same thing with repeatedly soaking axe handles in water when they get loose.

Good point LL,This wood was only cut 1 year ago the end's do have lot of checking,but wood is not too dry. here is that same piece in another view.Do you know what kind of wood it is?

Attachments

• Wood Id please!
    aa 014.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 536
  • Wood Id please!
    aa 016.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 538
RAMSAY said:
Do you know what kind of wood it is?
Looking at that bark, I'd say it was standing dead stuff.

RAMSAY said:
Good point LL,This wood was only cut 1 year ago the end's do have lot of checking,but wood is not too dry. here is that same piece in another view.Do you know what kind of wood it is?

Red Maple??

mobetter said:
RAMSAY said:

Red Maple??

its maple, still looks like silver to me

Looks like Red Maple to me, could be Sugar Maple, but looks pretty dark for Sugar.

(not talking about the original post, I'm referring to Ramsays pic)

SUGAR MAPLE !!!! lichen? no fungus amongus !!!

Looks like BTU's to me ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.