Wood Id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
We had windstorm in October and my son and I heard and felt a large crash from the woods during it. A few days later we came across the culprit, but at the time I figured it was a pine tree (we have a million of them) because I saw a few branches with needles on them. Looked at it again yesterday and noticed that those needles were from a neighboring tree which must 've lost a limb when the big tree fell. Any ideas what I have? I was gonna cut it up no matter what (free wood is free wood) but maybe it is something more worthwhile than pine.
Wood Id please
Wood Id please
Wood Id please
Wood Id please
Wood Id please
Wood Id please
Wood Id please
Wood Id please
this last one is a limb of a different tree. I think it is red maple. Any thoughts?

Looks like red or possibly silver maple. Not bad stuff.

Bark looks like silver or red maple to me. As does the wood. The leaves don't look related.

Look at the smaller branches and twigs, if any. Opposite branching (vs. alternate branching) would help to confirm maple.

If you have any twigs with buds and leaf scars, that will help to confirm which type of maple.
Search: MAPLE TREE BUD IDENTIFICATION

Last edited:
I agree Silver Maple for sure, I personally like it, dries fast, ignites easily, burns with a nice, lively flame and throws decent heat.