Wood ID please? Is this Hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbst09

May 21, 2020
North Carolina
Hello, is this wood Hickory?

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

Did it split easily (by hand)? If not...its hickory

It cut down about 9 months ago and split very easily by hand. Pieces are heavy and a few of them were a little stringy. The pieces are pretty white in color

Did it split easily (by hand)? If not...its hickory
Most of the hickory I have bucked up over the years has split easily -- by hand. I took down a tree last summer that did not split well. I managed with wedges and a sledge, but "easy" did not describe it.

Anyway, the pictures look like hickory, to me, though I have never seen the blue-green end grain of the last photo.

Most of the hickory I have bucked up over the years has split easily -- by hand. I took down a tree last summer that did not split well. I managed with wedges and a sledge, but "easy" did not describe it.

Anyway, the pictures look like hickory, to me, though I have never seen the blue-green end grain of the last photo.
The log was was laying on the ground for a while and was wet so I don't know if that has anything to do with the odd coloration. The bark came off after the first hit. Some of the other pieces I split lightened up in color in just a few days and are pretty light in color compared to the oak I have.

Doesn't look like hickory. Easy fun test is burn a little of the wood or even the sawdust, if it smells like they opened a barbecue shack in your neighborhood it's hickory. If you don't know what a barbecue shack smells like you need to.

Reactions: Bobbob
The x pattern on the bark is the give away.

Reactions: Bobbob
Ash, Called either Diamond or X pattern in the bark.

Reactions: cbst09