Wood ID? Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
Wood ID? Maple? Wood ID? Maple?
It’s got several kid knots and inner branches. Pretty easy to split even big rounds.
Silver maple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, not the best but dries quick and is good for shoulder season.

X4. Sorry, I hate it. Leaves a huge amount of ash for me. Not worth it. I usually give it away to a neighbor. Kevin

Also seeing silver maple.

X4. Sorry, I hate it. Leaves a huge amount of ash for me. Not worth it. I usually give it away to a neighbor. Kevin
It is ashy, along with cherry. Ok for shoulder season but I dont go out if my way for either one.

Well thanks for the ID! Neighbor dropped it so I went over and grabbed a cord or so. My oak is 2 years out so I’m trying to find some quicker drying time for my supply.

Well thanks for the ID! Neighbor dropped it so I went over and grabbed a cord or so. My oak is 2 years out so I’m trying to find some quicker drying time for my supply.

Split it now itll be ready next year.

I actually like the stuff for shoulder season/short duration fires. If I need a small load to carry me for a couple of hours before an overnight reload - its the perfect stuff. Or if I want to bring the stove up to temp on a 55 degree day, but then coast back down pretty quick. Again - good stuff for that.

I used to hate it too but it really does season well in just a year so for that reason I won't discriminate against it so much in the future.....But going out of my way for it may be a different story. I have a lot of it to burn in the upcoming years from a good size tree taken down in my yard before Fall.

Yup silver maple. I burn a lot of red maple, ash, and cherry. I usually end up mixing it all together as I stack it and just burn it all together. Granted it doesn't coal up like Ash after 8 or 10 hours but I don't waste much in terms of BTU's. Heck I burn poplar if it isn't punky or too bad. I do keep the poplar separate for burning earlier in the year. I wouldn't complain if I got a couple free cords of silver maple.

It seasons quick and gives off a decent amount of heat. I wouldn't leave it in the woods or on the curb side if I were passing by.

Oak is my favorite but I’m splitting a green oak now that is SOAKING wet and heavy. 3 years till that’s ready.
The silver maple was reading 20% split. So it’s getting close.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Oak is my favorite but I’m splitting a green oak now that is SOAKING wet and heavy. 3 years till that’s ready.
The silver maple was reading 20% split. So it’s getting close.

If you split the oak now it should be ready in two years, 48 months is usually enough stacked in a good spot. If you split it in the summer you would need 3 years.