Black Maple - Lots if it!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mgodzilla

Jul 16, 2023
Great Lakes
I’m processing 2-3 chords from some massive Black Maples (Sugar Maple’s Cousin) that I’m getting free from a friend. But free isn’t free man. It’s 2-3 hours if sawing, loading and unloading for each 1/2 chord or so - yep in steamy JULY. Stuff is so heavy that I watch not to overload the F150.
This Black Maple tree is old and is over 3ft diameter. Mostly solid but a few punky trunk rounds near stump level, ants etc… . Tree fellers shredded the small stuff and I'm re-cutting limbs (Ego 18 56v) and noodling the trunks to lifting size with my Husqvarna 455.
I tried splitting some trunk chunks and that was laughable. Now I plan to dry the huge rounds and chunks till they get checked then split in cooler weather, season then burn next year. Split sized limb wood just gets a head start on the rack. Sweat soaked clothes now for hard maple fires in a year. Free - sort of.

Last edited:
Had not heard of Black Maple either. A cousin of Sugar Maple, you can’t go wrong with that!

Reactions: patrickk222
Had not heard of Black Maple either. A cousin of Sugar Maple, you can’t go wrong with that!
Black Maple has been planted alot in small communities around Ohio. Leaf is close to Sugar Maple bark too but subtle differences. Very strong wood. I researched it bc I was curious about what I was getting. Turns out I have old ones in my yard too prob planted in the 50’s. Mine are helicopter seed factories. Knew they were maples but finally know what type.

I’d be sledge and wedging them to make it easier to move around. A sharp pointed wedge is a wonderful tool.

You have any pics of the cut wood? I too just cut yesterday in this swamp air. Fall / winter so much better.

Guys I made a quick pallet wood rack to hold the Black Maple. It’s about 8x4 stacked over 6ft with the big limbs that need split. More dumped in the drive needs brought over. Another pile of No split required smaller limb wood makes over 2 chords so far. This is about 4 f150 loads
E9F51148-9CA8-47F3-8DB7-D0E112C599F2.jpeg

DCCC86FC-353E-4095-9F20-40F1775CF63F.jpeg

Massive Black Maple trunk 38in diameter - WOW! I don’t have enough saw to cut the biggest sections of trunk. Some are bucked bwt 12-18in so I may try on those, others are rotten or too big for my tools.

More huge limb wood is out of the frame. I Am focusing on those first, bucking and noodling to carry size. Not all the trunk is usable but there’s plenty of great wood here.

Mostly using my 18in Ego 56v saw still and it’s impressing me. Quiet, powerful, less stressful. I’ve got the Husky 455 ready too when I take on the really large stuff. The f150 is getting a work out.

If you have a hydraulic splitter and your friend allows it, I would suggest you cut and split everything in place and just transport the split pieces home. It's a huge time savings. I was lucky enough to be able to do this for two summers in a row. About 4 cords each summer. It helped that I had kids who split continuously while I just loaded and transported. No mess back at my place either.

Reactions: bigealta
A trailer will put less strain on your truck and give you fewer trips. They rent for cheap!

If you have a hydraulic splitter and your friend allows it, I would suggest you cut and split everything in place and just transport the split pieces home. It's a huge time savings. I was lucky enough to be able to do this for two summers in a row. About 4 cords each summer. It helped that I had kids who split continuously while I just loaded and transported. No mess back at my place either.
Definitely do this if possible. That's what i do but with hand splitting with a maul.

Also take the easy stuff 1st. No knots or twisted wood. Take a maul and test some pieces for ease of splitting. Focus on those, then go back for the more difficult stuff if you so desire.

Also i never stack unsplit wood. It's a big waste of time. Stack it when it's split. No double work. It does not dry if not split, stacked or not.

Nice haul i always love black maple now what i do with the huge stuff when tryin to get them in my buggy and back to my stagin area is i'll usually bust them up into manageable blocks with my wedges and 8lb maul

Also take the easy stuff 1st. No knots or twisted wood. Take a maul and test some pieces for ease of splitting. Focus on those, then go back for the more difficult stuff if you so desire.

Also i never stack unsplit wood. It's a big waste of time. Stack it when it's split. No double work. It does not dry if not split, stacked or not.
Well, it will dry, but much slower! There is less surface area to dry from!

I
I’m processing 2-3 chords from some massive Black Maples (Sugar Maple’s Cousin) that I’m getting free from a friend. But free isn’t free man. It’s 2-3 hours if sawing, loading and unloading for each 1/2 chord or so - yep in steamy JULY. Stuff is so heavy that I watch not to overload the F150.
This Black Maple tree is old and is over 3ft diameter. Mostly solid but a few punky trunk rounds near stump level, ants etc… . Tree fellers shredded the small stuff and I'm re-cutting limbs (Ego 18 56v) and noodling the trunks to lifting size with my Husqvarna 455.
I tried splitting some trunk chunks and that was laughable. Now I plan to dry the huge rounds and chunks till they get checked then split in cooler weather, season then burn next year. Split sized limb wood just gets a head start on the rack. Sweat soaked clothes now for hard maple fires in a year. Free - sort of
Nice. I lm processing some black maple up in Maine for the first time. I notice it has wood that is more like red maple. What you have in that picture to me looks like sugar maple. But either way, you’re in the money! (Wood-wise, lol).

View attachment 313882
Massive Black Maple trunk 38in diameter - WOW! I don’t have enough saw to cut the biggest sections of trunk. Some are bucked bwt 12-18in so I may try on those, others are rotten or too big for my tools.

More huge limb wood is out of the frame. I Am focusing on those first, bucking and noodling to carry size. Not all the trunk is usable but there’s plenty of great wood here.

Mostly using my 18in Ego 56v saw still and it’s impressing me. Quiet, powerful, less stressful. I’ve got the Husky 455 ready too when I take on the really large stuff. The f150 is getting a work out.
Guys thanks for all the advice. I did wedge some and noodle until my saw crapped out (prob leaky carb or return line). I got out about 3 chords.

I had a week before the home owner had the tree guys returning to haul the rest. I did focus on the easy picks and best early. Last day was bigs and crotchier stuff. I did have to leave about 15-16 trunk cuts 30-48 in diameter behind. In the heat I don’t think I could have processed much more per day anyway even with a trailer. But if my bigger saw had not started to leak gas all over when I filled it I could have noodled 1 more load of trunk cuts. Oh well.

Now the logs are going to sit and dry until cooler climes. Looking for a splitter of course.

. . . looks like sugar maple.
I didn't see pics of the leaves. Black maple (A. nigrum) differs from sugar maple (A. saccharum):
Leaf is:
  1. more rounded
  2. Sinus shallower/ with fewer, less pronounced lobes. Both sugar and black will have U-shaped sinus. Silver and Red maple = V-shaped.
  3. thicker (better adapted to droughty midwest climate)
  4. leaf tends to curl/ cup
  5. less outstanding fall color (more yellow & less orange)

1. leaf stipule is a strong distinguishing characteristic: . . . a stipule is an outgrowth typically borne on both sides (sometimes on just one side) of the base of a the petiole. It's a mini leaf growing at the base of the petiole.

I didn't see pics of the leaves. Black maple (A. nigrum) differs from sugar maple (A. saccharum):
Leaf is:
  1. more rounded
  2. Sinus shallower/ with fewer, less pronounced lobes. Both sugar and black will have U-shaped sinus. Silver and Red maple = V-shaped.
  3. thicker (better adapted to droughty midwest climate)
  4. leaf tends to curl/ cup
  5. less outstanding fall color (more yellow & less orange)

1. leaf stipule is a strong distinguishing characteristic: . . . a stipule is an outgrowth typically borne on both sides (sometimes on just one side) of the base of a the petiole. It's a mini leaf growing at the base of the petiole.
I wish I had better leaf pics. The tree was felled and mostly limb shredded but some could be found. I started with assuming Sugar also but something about it got me on Google. The leaves were smoother with longer soft tip points, more round than the Sugars at my house. I also noted the claw but these were cut branches. Owner said its Fall color was brownish yellow. My Sugar in Fall is quite orange and leaves are slightly larger and slightly more angular. I did not look for the stipules nor notice them. Lastly local elders said the city planted a ton along the road as other trees failed. That matches info on an Ohio State extension video I watched. The extension also noted much potential for cross breeding and cross characteristics between Silver and Black. I have a tree along my road that I’m watching for Fall color now that I’m nerding out in this.