Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill9009

Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2010
NC
Have about a face cord of each I just split. The first was almost white inside when first split. the other was yellow with a white ring inside the bark.

Attachments

• Wood ID help
    photo(6).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Wood ID help
    photo 3(7).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 297
  • Wood ID help
    photo 2(10).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 301
Heres the yellower wood with the white outer ring.

Attachments

• Wood ID help
    photo 4(3).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Wood ID help
    photo 5(3).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Wood ID help
    photo(7).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 291
I'll take a guess - top tree is Chestnut Oak, lower one is Black Cherry. I am not too sure about either one.

I say the top wood is Maple (white) the lower left looks like cherry (it is red not yellow), yellow might be Locust, but I cannot see the bark on the right hand pieces. The bark looks like cherry on the left.

1st set of pics look like a pignut hickory species .. second set of pics points to cherry but as mentioned could be locust the bark is not closeup enough to really tell the potato chip pattern IMHO

white oak,cherry,3rd one mulberry?

smokinjay said:

the last 3 pictures are of the Same wood. The consensus on that seems to be cherry. I will have to get some better pictures of the bark later. But its cold and rainy out right now so I am sticking by the stove.

bill9009 said:
smokinjay said:

the last 3 pictures are of the Same wood. The consensus on that seems to be cherry. I will have to get some better pictures of the bark later. But its cold and rainy out right now so I am sticking by the stove.

wow they look nothing alike

smokinjay said:
bill9009 said:
smokinjay said:

wow they look nothing alike

it's probably just the light and the factvthe pictures were taken with my phone

In the first set of pictures, the splits on the right, stacked up, look like Chestnut Oak to me. The first two pics of the same series don't look quite right for Chestnut Oak, but could be, i guess. In the second set of pictures, the stacked splits on the left look like Black Cherry to me, but the second and third pics of the same series look too yellow. That could be just the way the photo turned out, i guess.

I looked a little closer and I am not convinced that there are only two types of wood in the pictures. The stack of Cherry in the second series of photos appears to have a few odd splits in there with the cherry - perhaps black locust.

Wood Duck said:
I looked a little closer and I am not convinced that there are only two types of wood in the pictures. The stack of Cherry in the second series of photos appears to have a few odd splits in there with the cherry - perhaps black locust.

yeah I see what you are talking about. I had split a few rounds right after the tree was cut down. The rest was just split about a week ago. Those pieces that look darker are the ones that were split over a month ago and they darkened compared to the fresh split stuff

Bill, I believe what your have in the top pictures is some kind of Oak, but the second is MULBERRY not Cherry. Mulberry will be yellow inside, but will turn into a reddish-brown color as you can see the ends are already doing.

Could be mulberry. It was definately yellow right when split and has darkened considerably since. Also both of these split very very easily. I could almost drop the fiskars on it and it would split.

bill9009 said:
Could be mulberry. It was definately yellow right when split and has darkened considerably since.

Believe me, it's Mulberry...very prevelant here in Eastern PA. Good fuelwood, takes awhile to dry out, pops a lot when air hits the moisture pockets inside it! It'll seem like the 4th of July at times with it's "pop" and "pow" noises and sparkler show, but good firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.