Wood ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Iowa22

Dec 21, 2018
Iowa
Looking for help from everyone again identifying some wood I scrounged. The first group has a bark pattern that's very similar to Ash, but I've been splitting Ash and the grain on this stuff is nowhere near as fine, it's a bit more strainey than the Ash, but it's not really stringy like elm or anything like that. I'll post the 2nd group in a comment below.
Wood ID Help Wood ID Help Wood ID Help Wood ID Help

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Soundchasm
Here's the 2nd group. This stuff pops pretty good when it splits, a bit brownish/reddish inside, more furrowed bark of course compared to the first group.
Wood ID Help Wood ID Help Wood ID Help Wood ID Help Wood ID Help

is it the same tree some looks like white oak and some red oak

oak for sure.

Yes Oak. Is not screaming Red though with that bark but it could be. When you get into the Oak family there are many species that unless you were in forestry tree identification for many years, will need a leaf to positively the identify. However one clue would be where was it growing hillside, poor soils, floodplain?

The second group is oak. And I am thinking the first group might be as well but not totally sure.

Reactions: Slocum
+1 on the second group being oak. The first group I am not sure on.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Bottom photos look like red oak. Not sure of the top ones.

1st one...my guesses would be ash, sassafrass or bitternut hickory. It looks a lot like ash based on the color such as the reddish brown streaks in pic 2. I would guess hickory first but it should have finer grain than ash. Second one also looks like red oak to me, but bark doesn't look like northern red oak.

You can sand flat a cross section with 150 grit sandpaper, get a magnifying glass or loupe and then compare with some images on one of these sites: https://woodidentification.net/wood-images-2/
or
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/hardwood-anatomy/ (easiest to use the search feature).

The endgrain can be pretty definitive on hard to ID wood.

first group is definitely ASH, second set is Red OAK.