Wood Fire Oven Bakery: is this smoke normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CuriousSoul

Jul 26, 2024
Portugal
Hello everyone! I have a question for the community regarding the type of smoke I am seeing from the neighboring bakery that has a wood fire oven. Does it look normal and as expected?

We recently moved to this place and noticed that every evening there is a lot of dense black smoke coming from the chimney of the bakery. The smell is more like burning plastic rather than wood. The episode usually lasts for 10 to 15 minutes and after that the smoke disappears. Also, the tiles on the roof of the bakery look like they are covered with soot.

We don’t speak well the local language, so communicating with the owner of the bakery is not easy. We tried and all she said was that she has all the permissons. However, before we try to complain to the authorities, I just want to be certain that what we experience is abnormal. My major concern is that the smoke looks unhealthy and can be potentially harmful. While it doesn’t last for a long time, we are exposed to it every single day.

We want them to continue operating, but if there is a way to improve the air quality, I hope they’d consider it.

Attachments

• IMG_6036.mov
    1.2 MB
Last edited:
Here is the photo of the chimney and the part of the roof

IMG_6850.png

IMG_6856.jpeg

IMG_6857.png

IMG_6861.jpeg

Wood Fire Oven Bakery: is this smoke normal?

Last edited: