Wood ash use tested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
My parking area was like an ice skating rink and I was about to dump the stove ashes on the snow in the woods when I remembered reading here they are good for traction on ice.. Gotta say they work great for that plus the ash melts the ice real well too! My parking and driving area is just dirt so it will not leave a mess but on pavement that may be another story.. I was able to pull my firewood wagon full of oak across the ice with a little ash on it with no lost footing.. Gotta love that!

Ray

It works great don't it!!!

At least till the mutts track it in and it makes a mess. LOL!!

I spead ash all down the drive, on the hill to the barns this afternoon. Got tired of spilling my morning coffee and landing on my tailbone.

Dingeryote said:
It works great don't it!!!

At least till the mutts track it in and it makes a mess. LOL!!

I spead ash all down the drive, on the hill to the barns this afternoon. Got tired of spilling my morning coffee and landing on my tailbone.

Yup I was surprised just how well it worked! You litterally had to move in baby steps and even that was treacherous! Pulling a cart loaded with oak was nearly impossible but easy after spreading a thin layer of ash dust.. I even used the stove shovel lol but some ashes were still a bit hot..

Ray

Given the ice daming problems folks are having, I wonder if its good for metling channels in the roof?

I expect it wouldnt look too good on a light colored house!

peakbagger said:
Given the ice daming problems folks are having, I wonder if its good for metling channels in the roof?

I expect it wouldnt look too good on a light colored house!

I heard on the radio that there are roof pucks you throw up on the roof to melt snow and ice.. Made of the calcium chloride the same stuff I use on my sidewalk and front porch.. If you can' find those I heard you can fill a nylon sock and toss them up on the roof or simply spread it on the roof like you would a sidewalk.. It will not harm the roof or stain anything.. Regular salt would be a bad idea though.. From what I read you want to place this stuff above the ice so when they disolve they create a channel for the water to run off the roof.. I think I would try a nylon stocking with ordinary calcium chloride in it 1st..

http://www.roofmelt.com/

Ray

I'm not sure I would be so keen on tossing my ash on to my roof . . . just due to the possible mess.

Most of my ash ends up on my driveway . . . which is excellent for traction as my Honda Accord is horrible when it comes to snow and ice and there is a slight rise in my driveway that requires traction . . . or a good run up the drive.

firefighterjake said:
I'm not sure I would be so keen on tossing my ash on to my roof . . . just due to the possible mess.

Most of my ash ends up on my driveway . . . which is excellent for traction as my Honda Accord is horrible when it comes to snow and ice and there is a slight rise in my driveway that requires traction . . . or a good run up the drive.

Jake I never said to put ashes on the roof.. I was talking about the pucks etc..

Ray

raybonz said:
firefighterjake said:

Jake I never said to put ashes on the roof.. I was talking about the pucks etc..

Ray

Referencing Peakbagger's comments . . .

Ray, this is also a good reason to have a bucket of ashes in the car or truck! Get stuck? Get out the ashes. Sand also works good.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, this is also a good reason to have a bucket of ashes in the car or truck! Get stuck? Get out the ashes. Sand also works good.

Just make sure the ashes are very, very, very dead . . . or that the car insurance is paid up and the policy covers fire caused by a bucket of hot ashes being left in the car. ;) :)

Me . . . I would stick with sand myself.

Jake, common sense always has to be used. For us, we save our ashes in big barrels. The ashes that are used this year came from last year's fires. But....I can see some dummy taking ashes right from the stove and putting them where they should not be put.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, common sense always has to be used. For us, we save our ashes in big barrels. The ashes that are used this year came from last year's fires. But....I can see some dummy taking ashes right from the stove and putting them where they should not be put.

I agree.. I was born at night but it wasn't last night !

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.