Wit's end with a Quadrafire Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhgirl

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2009
NH
I'm unlucky enough (to my mind) to have two pellet stoves, both of which are now inoperable. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's wrong with the one I rely on most, since we have some single-digit days coming up, and I'm about ready to cry.

The other day, the Quadrafire Castile (freestanding) started making this horrible noise; not the normal rattling from the stupid sheet metal, but a constant urrrrrrrrrr kind of sound. When the noise woke me up at 5 am this morning, I decided it was time to turn the stove off, clean it thoroughly, and remove the convection blower at least for a good dust/cat hair removal program.

I did those things, unplugged the two wires to the convection blower, cleaned it out, reinstalled it, and tried to start the stove back up. Nothing--red light, blue light, no motor movement. Remembering that, every year, the first light up doesn't work because of some nonsense with the vacuum switch, I unscrewed that piece from the back, and as it slid into my hand, the auger motor started. Weird, I thought. Went to put it back, auger motor stopped. After a few tries with this, I noticed a blue spark coming from one of the connections to the combustion blower. I unplugged the stove, touched the wire and found that it had come unplugged and was just barely touching for its connection. I reconnected it, thought all would be well, and plugged the stove back in

Presto! Pellets feeding, everything seems happy. But 10 minutes later, no ignition. Start over. Three times. Nothing. I pulled out the ash pan and found that the ignitor was cold enough to touch.

The man of the house took a quick look at wiring and couldn't find anything amiss. Connections for the ignitor are fine. We lit it manually, which worked, but now the blower really isn't coming on and the death rattle continues. The stove is only 4 years old; I just can't figure out how so much could go so wrong all at once. Help!

a couple things to check 1 make sure that the contorl box is not loose 2 make sure that the fuse is not blown. does the combustion blower sound like it is running properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.