Winter 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
seal the deal so we don't get any more snow! Buy a new snowblower!

I keep looking for tulips to pop from the ground.

Reactions: Ashful
down the street the yellow forsythia bush is just blooming they are a month early

We just absolutely obliterated our previous temperature record for March 17th, previous record high was 10.2c (50f) set in 2019, we hit 21c (70f) here today. The snow is all but gone, and what's left is disappearing fast. The lakes are already starting to open around the edges, and the rivers all have flood water on the ice, and some places the ice is already breaking up.

Spring is a solid month early. I'm really concerned what this years forest fire season will bring, it's just been too dry and too warm.

... and just when we relax and take down the plow markers, is when Mother Nature will sucker-punch us in the gut. ;lol

<-- took down the plow markers today, it's almost time to mow!
The worst PNW snow storm in the last 40 years was in late April.

it's almost time to mow!
Over here in NEO the grass is greening and growing...crocus and daffodils are blooming. But this still isn't as early as 2012 IIRC, there was mowing happening already, 2nd or 3rd week of March.

a friend of mine was just reminded me that we had snow may 9. we came out of church to find this. i turned my garage around saturday to put the snow blower in the back and the lawn tractor up front. i guess we'll see to many warm spells to think otherwise

Over here in NEO the grass is greening and growing...crocus and daffodils are blooming. But this still isn't as early as 2012 IIRC, there was mowing happening already, 2nd or 3rd week of March.
I mowed my yard on Saturday. Not all but the patches that green up early are at least a month in advance.

We're getting more snow & wind today, it started overnight. Hopefully they're correct on the forecast, only three inches total by the end of the day on Wednesday.

The cold temps are hanging around, hopefully that gets out of here after this weekend.

I had my first 15 yards of mulch delivered on Thursday, and got almost 10 yards of that put down over the weekend. Slow going this year, as many weeds came up early, before I could get the mulch down. PA bittercress is a groan, and we even have a few dandelions already!

Same here - with the weeds. I've been pulling bittercress from the lawn and the yard as it's flowering.
Dandelions too. And chickweed.

I want to wait a bit with mulch (measured in scoops here - however much that is, we need 8-9 scoops) until my parents are here mid April, so they have something to do (they like having something to do, preferably outside). But the weeds are coming early.

I mowed my yard on Saturday. Not all but the patches that green up early are at least a month in advance.
You are more so in southern Ohio though, no? I know from working south of Dayton for a time that there can be a 10* difference between there and NE OH, especially in the spring/fall.

The snow should start later tonight for us and then the warmer weather and rain start next week, should be a mess around here.

1711143138586.png

It was snowing pretty heavily around 4 in Saratoga. It was a squall though. No snow is on the ground in northern Warren county now. I’ll move my truck up on top of the hill later tonight. I don’t want to try to drive through a footbof fresh snow if I don’t have to, lol.

We're still cold up here, we had 6.8 this morning with NOAA calling for a low of 7 tomorrow morning. Under the porch, the wireless was reading 28.9 when I came in from moving snow off the driveway.

other than tonight we are still burning but high 40's and rain tomorrow 1 to3 inches of it. cold rain feels colder than it is. we are still burning at night not for long getting to warm here in massachusetts

Is there another snowstorm coming in for those at a certain elevation? I saw it on mynbc5 on T.V. this morning, they cover Plattsburgh and the Vermont areas.

Lol. I’m not going to lie, I’m looking forward to shedding my hoodie and feeling sun hitting my skin again.

Lol. I’m not going to lie, I’m looking forward to shedding my hoodie and feeling sun hitting my skin again.
We've had some shaking going on up here tonight, nothing big but it rattled the back door four times. I'm not seeing anything reported online yet so we'll see, the last earthquake was over in the Canton NY about a week or so ago.

Problem solved, no quakes but just some serious night flights............it isn't Boeing!

Yesterday once I was working it was a t-shirt day, today was colder so the sweatshirt stayed on.

Last edited:
I used to like watching the A10s flying between the mountains. Then the base was closed. I think they were out of Plattsburgh. Were yours out of Drum?

Reactions: thewoodlands
I used to like watching the A10s flying between the mountains. Then the base was closed. I think they were out of Plattsburgh. Were yours out of Drum?
Fort Drum in the Watertown NY area. It was just on the news that the Air National Guard were dropping 500 pound bombs on range 48, people closer were thinking it was an earthquake.

I do enjoy when they're flying up in this area, they put on a nice show. Like my FIL use to say, some people get mad because of the noise and because they fly treetop high at times but I'm just glad they're ours.

Reactions: fbelec
Just before Covid I was down in GA being dragged to outlet stores by my wife. I looked up and got to watch some F15s having fun burning fuel. By the looks of it, they were having the time of their lives doing it too! It really beat looking at clothes, lol.

Just before Covid I was down in GA being dragged to outlet stores by my wife. I looked up and got to watch some F15s having fun burning fuel. By the looks of it, they were having the time of their lives doing it too! It really beat looking at clothes, lol.
Usually in the summer they put on what I'll call a show, there have been times they're just above the tops of our tallest trees. Like my FIL said, I'm just glad they're ours.

I get to see, and hear, the VTANG F 35s out of Burlington training over the White Mountains. Its impressive. My wife and I went to their open house Fall of 22 and got to see them close up and talk to some pilots. Really cool all around.

Reactions: thewoodlands
This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for northern New York, central
Vermont, northeast Vermont, northwest Vermont and southern Vermont.

.DAY ONE...This afternoon and tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday.

A powerful storm system will bring rain and snow to the region late
Tuesday and Wednesday, and primarily snow for Thursday and Friday
with significant snow accumulations possible, especially at
elevations above 1000 feet.