Will this set-up work properly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreyValley7

Jun 7, 2020
Maine
Hi All,
Wondering if the 90s I had to put in the pipe for offset reduce draft too much? If not, would they be better positioned closer to the stove?

thank you for your help

Attachments

• Will this set-up work properly?
    5CD13DAE-3C8A-4A2A-8A00-9B5F3A291E9F.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 233
Hi All,
Wondering if the 90s I had to put in the pipe for offset reduce draft too much? If not, would they be better positioned closer to the stove?

thank you for your help
They will definitely hurt draft. It may work fine anyway though. How tall is the chimney? You can always use 45s instead of 90s

Reactions: Gearhead660
I only have one 4’ section of insulated pipe through the roof. I could add another section above if need be, just thought it may look a bit funny? Thanks for the reply

May need more pipe for adequate draft. How much total piping do you have now?

Each 90º turn is equivalent to about a 2ft reduction in flue system height. Most modern stoves want at least 15' of flue above the stove top. If there is 5' interior flue height + 4 ft chimney, then the flue system is too short even before the offset is calculated in. In this case, switching to a pair of 45s for the offset plus more chimney would be a good improvement.

Also, has the 10-3-2 rule been observed for the chimney? If not, that is also critical for code and safety.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

We had a similar set up with our Jotul TD (pre EPA stove). It accumulated a lot of creosote at the bends. In the end we cleaned the chimney every month. This involved taking down the stovepipe each time. Your stove will likely produce less creosote but you should keep an eye on things until you see how things go.

Thank you all for the reply’s. This is at my remote cabin off-grid for reference. I ultimately want to be as efficient as possible but also safe.

I think I’ll try to turn my elbows into 45’s and also add another 4’ section to the top above the roof.

This should be an improvement from what I saw when I first purchased the place...single wall stovepipe straight up through the ceiling and roof!

Thank you all for the reply’s. This is at my remote cabin off-grid for reference. I ultimately want to be as efficient as possible but also safe.

I think I’ll try to turn my elbows into 45’s and also add another 4’ section to the top above the roof.

This should be an improvement from what I saw when I first purchased the place...single wall stovepipe straight up through the ceiling and roof!
The chimney will need a brace attached at the 5' point above the roof.
Will this set-up work properly? Will this set-up work properly?

I was also thinking two 45s yesterday when I saw your picture. You aren't doing much of an offset, so you have room to do the middle piece between the 45s. Should smooth out airflow a lot.

Thanks for all the reply’s. I switched it over to 45’s and added another length of insulated pipe above the roof. Lit a small fire to test it out and I have excellent draft and flow.

This is one of the best forums out there!

Attachments

• Will this set-up work properly?
    0C507534-E127-4090-A360-9B0A7C848BD9.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 113
That's better. I'm glad it's testing well. It'll be easier to clean too.
Although the big slab of stone makes a unique hearth, it does not come close to the protection requirements, especially where it is needed. I see some burn marks happening on the floor from spitting embers. A sheet of metal under the stone would help.