Will this be ready to burn this fall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Couple stacks of hickory and walnut what you think? Is it a cord?

Attachments

• Will this be ready to burn this fall?
    resize wood stack.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 572
I would need to buck it and split it but other than that it looks good ;)

Im suprised that big saw doesent come with a kick start.....

ANeat said:
I would need to buck it and split it but other than that it looks good ;)

Im suprised that big saw doesent come with a kick start.....

lol, Its easier to start than most saws.

PapaDave said:
Those are some goofy lookin' splits SJ. Too long for most stoves, too. Rethink the plan, man. :lol:

Thats the only way I can keep my pile from falling over!

smokinjay said:

If your talking about the wood then I say no, but if your talking about the saws then yes, they are ready to burn into some big trees. :zip:

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

If your talking about the wood then I say no, but if your talking about the saws then yes, they are ready to burn into some big trees. :zip:

zap

I don't know looks like the stack job may pay off full sun and wind and Indiana finest hardwoods.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

I don't know looks like the stack job may pay off full sun and wind and Indiana finest hardwoods.

Still hot out your way?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Still hot out your way?

zap

LOL yep 94 today, going to cool off tuesday 85.

smokinjay said:
PapaDave said:
Those are some goofy lookin' splits SJ. Too long for most stoves, too. Rethink the plan, man. :lol:

Goin back to heapen will solve that problem

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
PapaDave said:

Goin back to heapen will solve that problem

Hell yea! If I dont use 40 percent less I will be a heapen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

you'll be back to heapen with the commoners in no time

SolarAndWood said:

I have two monster tulips to do this fall it just may transform into a 20ft x 20ft woodshed.

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

I have two monster tulips to do this fall it just may transform into a 20ft x 20ft woodshed.

Smokin you stay away from those twolips.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

Smokin you stay away from those twolips.

zap

But its my very Favorite!

A 25 cord woodshed? Even for us big consumers, that's pretty big. I think I'm going the other way, add a second heap and let it sit outside another year.

SolarAndWood said:
A 25 cord woodshed? Even for us big consumers, that's pretty big. I think I'm going the other way, add a second heap and let it sit outside another year.

You know thats my thinking as well, we will see I am a heap-er from way back!

I was gonna ignore this "ready to burn" thread, cause they are almost always the same. Then i saw the author and wondered what the heck you'd be trying to figure out if you could burn.... my smart answer for your smart question is that yours will not be ready. BUT, being the philanthropist that I am, I'd be willing to trade you a cord of my seasoned firewood for a cord of that wood....

smokinjay said:

You are going to need that shed so you have a place to dry your planks other than the garage unless the plan is to kiln dry them while you have the furnace running this winter.

Jay, it is good to see you can finally stack your wood straight! It won't be ready for fall though.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

You are going to need that shed so you have a place to dry your planks other than the garage unless the plan is to kiln dry them while you have the furnace running this winter.
Yes the funace should finish the drying. Kind of change your thinking on these big tree when you have a mill. I know where there is a monster silver maple as well. Wood shed Could be a double decker!

Danno77 said:
I was gonna ignore this "ready to burn" thread, cause they are almost always the same. Then i saw the author and wondered what the heck you'd be trying to figure out if you could burn.... my smart answer for your smart question is that yours will not be ready. BUT, being the philanthropist that I am, I'd be willing to trade you a cord of my seasoned firewood for a cord of that wood....

That would take a lot of firewood to cover them two piles....500bf of 60 percent walnut 40 percnt hickory.

I think a wood shed would look good off the back of your garage. maybe some homemade 4x4's on the corners, I can see it comeing together. Let me know we could probably do it in a weekend after wood is cut.

MMaul said:
I think a wood shed would look good off the back of your garage. maybe some homemade 4x4's on the corners, I can see it comeing together. Let me know we could probably do it in a weekend after wood is cut.

I was thinking 6x6 on the corner's 2x12 around the top..Just not quite sure how to run 20 ft rafters?

smokinjay said:
I was thinking 6x6 on the corner's 2x12 around the top..Just not quite sure how to run 20 ft rafters?
6by6 support midspan on all of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.