Will the little lady live up to all the hype?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Well I found a deal I couldn't refuse! A stove shop was clearing out some floor stock and they sold this for a price I've rarely heard of BK stoves being had for. I figured for the money I'd give it a shot and try the little lady out. The stove doesn't look as nice as the Endeavor but it's not as ugly as some would think. I just want/need to add a convection deck before the burning season starts and that's about it. I love the look of the firebox, it looks like most of it is actually usable! I'm excited to try it out but not wishing cold weather upon us just let, I'll make it to late Sept. earlier Oct. just fine.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Will the little lady live up to all the hype?
    DSC_0030_4374.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 606
    DSC_0032_4376.webp
    35 KB · Views: 579
    DSC_0034_4378.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 600
    DSC_0036_4380.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 589
    DSC_0037_4381.webp
    34 KB · Views: 581
Congrats on the new stove, I think you made a wise choice.

I think it's a fine looking stove. Looks like it means business. I find it a bit curious why they configure the ash lip beneath the loading door the way they do. Anyway, congrats on the good deal! Rick

fossil said:
I think it's a fine looking stove. Looks like it means business. I find it a bit curious why they configure the ash lip beneath the loading door the way they do. Anyway, congrats on the good deal! Rick

Looks upside-down to me too. IMO

fossil said:

I also find it a bit goofy, with the door on I think it's less goofy though. I do like that they have a nice amount of space between the ash lip and the door though. The amount of space on the Endeavor has always bugged me a "little". The depth of the firebox will also be a huge plus I think, I hate opening the door and having ash fall out.

rdust said:
fossil said:

I also find it a bit goofy, with the door on I think it's less goofy though. I do like that they have a nice amount of space between the ash lip and the door though. The amount of space on the Endeavor has always bugged me a "little". The depth of the firebox will also be a huge plus I think, I hate opening the door and having ash fall out.

Your Signature can now be updated.. Oh and Congrats. Forgot to say that earlier. Hoping my Englander lives up to the Hype.. You know a Blaze King is Gonna BURN........ Without a Doubt...... Congrats again. Some say they are ugly, but with a LONG (24 hrs is not uncommon) Burn time, who would argue over looks.

DexterDay said:
Your Signature can now be updated.. Oh and Congrats. Forgot to say that earlier. Hoping my Englander lives up to the Hype.. You know a Blaze King is Gonna BURN........ Without a Doubt...... Congrats again. Some say they are ugly, but with a LONG (24 hrs is not uncommon) Burn time, who would argue over looks.

Not counting on a 24 burn in the Princess but if it gives me 10-12 real hours in moderately cold weather I'll be a happy camper. The Endeavor never had trouble really with a decent burn, I'm making the change more for the low burn abilities of the CAT.

cmonSTART said:
Congratulations!

Thanks! Kinda felt like a kid at Christmas today when I was opening it up. :lol:

Todd said:
Congrats on the new stove, I think you made a wise choice.

Thanks! I blame you CAT burners for this! When I started out on this wood burning addiction road I don't think I would've done good with a CAT due to having enough good wood. Now that I'm 3 years ahead I figured my wood supply would be good enough. Also I jacked up my back recently and you guys can heat for a day on 2 splits in zero temps so I figured that would be a bonus and help save my back! :lol:

fossil said:
I find it a bit curious why they configure the ash lip beneath the loading door the way they do. Anyway, congrats on the good deal! Rick

Yep. The same thing I have said before about the PE stoves. Why not turn the sucker up. Gravity works with ashes just like everything else.

Congrats on the stove. Steel stoves rule.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
I find it a bit curious why they configure the ash lip beneath the loading door the way they do. Anyway, congrats on the good deal! Rick

Yep. The same thing I have said before about the PE stoves. Why not turn the sucker up. Gravity works with ashes just like everything else.

Congrats on the stove. Steel stoves rule.

i think the bk ash lip is bent down for pure style.

greythorn3 said:
i think the bk ash lip is bent down for pure style.

Yeah, coals on your feet are what I call style. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Yeah, coals on your feet are what I call style. :coolsmirk:

I call it fun to watch as long as it's not me doing the hot foot dance. :lol:

Yeah nothing like ashes and coals fallin on the hearth.... Call me an idiot but I can get fairly aggressive when I put wood in the stove. That ash lip looks like it would do nothing!

If that is a little lady, I think she may be pregnant.

i think it would be pretty hard to spill ash outa a blaze king reloading it, the door is allot higher then the bottom of the stove, it seems like a really good design to load it up good.

You know, there's probably an element of design in every stove out there that could be improved upon. We all adapt to them and consider it part of life with our stove. And the BKLL with the bun in the oven has a rep for only needing ashes hauled every few months, to muddle a metaphor, so you just work carefully when you're taking care of that, and it will be fine.

Personally, I use a rubber dustpan to scoop ashes inside the firebox, and dump them in a turkey roaster that I slide inside the stove. Airborne ash goes up the flue, and any ash spilled stays in the stove to be re-scooped. Sounds awkward, but it's not--it's easy, and a very tidy, quick way to clean up the ash, much quicker than messing with the ash pan.

You're bound to love that stove. Congrats

Congrats on the new stove everyone that owns a Blazeking has good stuff to say! Look forward to reading how you like yours!

Ray

In the profile photo, it looks kinda like Richard Nixon.

BeGreen said:
If that is a little lady, I think she may be pregnant.

She's little when compared to her old man the King! :)

True for sure. Enjoy the new stove!

Congratulations rdust. Methinks you will love that stove this winter. Just make sure you have help moving that sucker as your back does not need that sort of thing.

Congratulations rdust and welcome to the club. Happy that you made the plunge. It will end up being a no fuss addition to your heating needs. The ash lip works just fine. The depth of that fire box will give you no ash out that door. Only bark and sawdust will collect there during loading. A quick dusting into a dust pan after a reload is all that is needed. As you said,....with the door on it is more proportional to the stove. I have been very busy lately with both my parent passing but was happy to have saw this thread. Again your burn times will be a positive one. Congrats once more and will be awaiting your impressions as I was with Hiram.
Cheers!

north of 60 said:
Congratulations rdust and welcome to the club. Happy that you made the plunge. It will end up being a no fuss addition to your heating needs. The ash lip works just fine. The depth of that fire box will give you no ash out that door. Only bark and sawdust will collect there during loading. A quick dusting into a dust pan after a reload is all that is needed. As you said,....with the door on it is more proportional to the stove. I have been very busy lately with both my parent passing but was happy to have saw this thread. Again your burn times will be a positive one. Congrats once more and will be awaiting your impressions as I was with Hiram.
Cheers!

Thanks! It was after talking with you and Hiram I knew a BK stove was in my future. I would've loved to buy a King but with the deal I found the Princess for I had to give it a shot. Also having to do an 8" chimney wouldn't have been cheap. The Princess is bigger than the Endeavor(2.8 vs 2.2) which heated the place well so I think it'll work out just fine.

I'll be sure to share my impressions of the stove with you once the season starts!

Status
Not open for further replies.