Will my current stack be dry enough for next Winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you find yourself having to burn split wood that hasn't had enough time to dry, I suggest with taking the top layer off of every stack, like the top foot or so. If top-only-covered, it's in the best shape. Then the stack has a new top layer, and perhaps you've bought enough time to figure out a further plan.

Update: I've got a Fiskars X27 ordered. And I felled and cut 5 standing dead. One Pine, two younger cedars, and two oaks (one over 60'). I've got 3 more mature standing dead on the other side of the property that will come down soon too. That will add one more mature oak, a very tall hickory and another mature tree (I think it's maple). I'll know better after I see the grain.

At this point I'm just going to harvest all the standing dead on the property. I've got some massive standing dead deeper in the woods. At this point I don't know if I'll have ideal wood come next winter. But you've got to start somewhere! Here are some photos...

You'll see the current stack layout. Sitting on the ground in a semi-circle. Not too organized. Big stacks on the right are the Hickory. Short stuff on the left is Oak and some Cedar.

A close-up of the drying Hickory cut 3 months ago.

Oak #1

Oak #2

See that red in the middle? Is that the color of oak sap in the wood?

Reactions: Soundchasm
i cut dead standing oak trees and burn them. I just cut 2 more this weekend,, and they are being burned this week. They test out at 18-20 on my meter,,,with the last 2-3 ft at the bottom testing at 26-28. The bottom wet ones goes in the stack for next year.

To get that low of moister, it has to be dead for a while,,,that means smooth sided with no bark,,and the outside is going soft on one side usually. That soft side will hold water. If the bark is still loosly holding on to the tree,, it will likely be too wet still.

It is ugly wood on the outside mostly, and most people don't like to buy it,,,except some of them smile when they see it. My customers seem to like "nice looking" wood. LOL,,,

The dead standing tree will be better then the laying tree,,which will 99% of the time, be too wet to burn. It is a great way to get wood when you run low.

Reactions: 7acres
Status
Not open for further replies.