Why rake the coals?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

geardoc

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Yorktown Virginia
Why are supposed to rake the coals to the front of the stove? I usually just rake mine around to knock the ash to the bottom...

geardoc said:
Why are supposed to rake the coals to the front of the stove? I usually just rake mine around to knock the ash to the bottom...

because the front of the stove is the portion that burns up quicker.
rake the coals to the front, and they turn to ash, vs having the coals build up in the back and not be able to add more wood.

Because the air wash usually moves forces air to the front bottom of the stove and flowing from front to back thus allowing those coals to light your new load quicker.

Most stoves provide primary air via the air wash and zipper air via the doghouse at the front of the stove. Giving coals more air helps to burn them down. Bringing the coals to the front essentially turns the fire on its side so it burns front to back in a more controlled way. This allows the stove to be stoked up more and can give longer burn times.

Well that was fast.... I get it. Thanks

OK, glad we got your question answered so quick. Maybe we can keep this thread going explaining the benefit of a front to back versus bottom up fire. As a fire burns bottom up, there is incomplete combustion that needs enough heat for the secondaries to burn. In a front to back fire, the unburned gasses circle back around through the fire, assuring more complete combustion. Essentially, less smoke and cleaner glass/chimney.

LLigetfa said:
As a fire burns bottom up, there is incomplete combustion that needs enough heat for the secondaries to burn. In a front to back fire, the unburned gasses circle back around through the fire, assuring more complete combustion. Essentially, less smoke and cleaner glass/chimney.

Is that why almost all stoves are built with a brick base instead of grates? And I was also wondering what exactly does the zipper air do? I have one in the front of the furnace on the bottom, and one at the rear about 5 inches high.

The zipper air is a more direct source of primary air. It is more focused and forceful like using bellows, to help promote the fire and accelerate the burning down of coals. The primary air from the air wash is preheated air that is made to go in an unnatural direction down the inner face of the glass and so has a lazy pattern. The air wash also tends to draw some of the combustion gasses down with it to reburn.

Too much zipper air and the fire tends to run a little wild. Not enough and the coals tend build up. I added a control to my zipper air so I can have the best of both, longer slower burns and quicker burns for coal reduction.

LLigetfa said:
The zipper air is a more direct source of primary air. It is more focused and forceful like using bellows, to help promote the fire and accelerate the burning down of coals. The primary air from the air wash is preheated air that is made to go in an unnatural direction down the inner face of the glass and so has a lazy pattern. The air wash also tends to draw some of the combustion gasses down with it to reburn.

Too much zipper air and the fire tends to run a little wild. Not enough and the coals tend build up. I added a control to my zipper air so I can have the best of both, longer slower burns and quicker burns for coal reduction.

LL- you are one of the many truely useful people on this forum (no catch).
-Kenny C.

Thanks. I make a tunnel with the wood when I reload with the zipper pointing at the tunnel. Not sure if it matters or not on a reload, but the fire gets hot quick and seems to work well. I guess its there for a reason, but wasn't sure why. Manual states to keep the area clear, so I make sure to do so.

Here is my ash-hoe / coal rake I made from the wood tongs from my tool set that I never used....
[Hearth.com] Why rake the coals?

[Hearth.com] Why rake the coals?

I just cut a piece of flat plate, rounded the top sides and welded.... I may make another with a hoe on one side and a rake on the other....

ripe said:
http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1 watch video & dig the logic= fire is made on front,firebox is filled with wood. airwash primary air is open so to burn from the front into the load which will evaporate water @ 212*f & pyrogas @ 550*f. when hot enough, the primary is cloosed, the tubes are flaming & the load burns from the top down as it boils off the gases. if the load is placed on a bed of coals, the pile is heated from the bottom up which may result in too much offgassing for the available combustion air coming thru the secondaries which will result in a faster burning of the load & uncombusted CO, which is invisible, in the smoke
Poook reincarnate?

Pook, Maggie (the dog), Sugar, Ripe... the list goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.