Why "do or did" you have a cat stove but now you "want or have" a NON-cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
mellow said:
I was quoted $3600 for a basic princess insert. Way to much, but I think we have gone off topic.

I had a cat stove and would have stuck with it or another cat stove but curiosity got the best of me and I had to try the pipes, so far I have not been impressed, ohh and getting the deal I got helped to. I am going to try it out this winter and see if I "warm" up to it, but we will see.

Hopefully the stove works out for you but at least you'll be able to have a good comparison after trying both. That $3600 makes my $2600 seem great but I feel more like your quote is just WAY out of line... I'm in the middle of a conversation with a BK rep who expressed that just like with cars you pay a bit of a premium for options on o model car vs. another and that if B has a slight premium it's the same comparison. This was my reply:

The only issue I have with it is that paying a little "premium" for benefits makes perfect sense but paying a premium based on lack of competition is where the premium begins make a product look less appealing. There are often 2, 3, or more dealers for a given brand of automobile in a city (and internet sales) which keep prices from becoming over inflated. That's not the case when dealerships are limited by distance as I believe to be the case with BK dealerships. This lack of competition causes another level of price inflation that has nothing to do with any added benefits or features correct? Most people wouldn't pay an extra 20+ percent for an automobile at dealer A when the exact same vehicle was available at dealer B (down the street) without that 20% premium. Someone who "Did" pay that 20% premium and discovered the price discrepancy would generally become disgruntled customer.

Just my 2 cents on it.

P.S. I know the price issue is a little off my original topic but the original topic was intended to help me make a decision irt cat vs. non-cat and the price premium factors into that. In that regard it's helpful to the original intent of my post.

Thanks for all the comments; they are really helping.

53:

How many trucks do you see in your town that have "Dave Smith" on their license plates? A large percentage of trucks even on the west side of our state come from that dealer in Idaho because his prices are great. Car dealerships don't compare to stoves since you can buy a truck from anyone, as a free market would dictate. Without a free market you get price fixing, collusion, crooked dealers, and generally people that just need to be kicked in the jimmy.

The good news is that we live in the right place to buy a fairly priced BK. If you can get over the looks of them then you should do it.

Highbeam said:
Have you ever seen anyone give up a woodstock or blaze king and buy a Lopi, country, quad? Now that would tell you something.

There is at least one. Mine was a return. It had one thick coat of creosote in the firebox that has since burned off.

Could have been that his wife came home and refused to have that ugly stove in her home!

Maybe, especially with the firebox all gunked up and putting out no heat. Rumor has it the cat never lit off.

Owner probably said "but it was the best quality oak on my property! I know it was because I cut it down and split it the afternoon the stove was installed" Can't be poor quality wood... :)

That is pretty funny, I burned off the build up with pine.

Status
Not open for further replies.