Why did you buy your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Why did you buy your stove? (multiple responses permitted)

• I didn't, it was with the house when I bought it and we use it.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I have no other immediately viable option for heat.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • To save money vs using oil, gas, electric heat.

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • To supplement my current heating setup (oil,gas,electric). (example : zone heating).

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • I just like the look & feel of using a stove.

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Because I fear a total collapse of society and infrastructure.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Because it uses a renewable resource.

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
I was asked by a neighbor why I went through all 'that trouble' to research, buy, install, operate a wood burning stove. I had multiple answers, I'm curious what others will say as well.

isn't everyone a pyro at heart?
I spent $800 on fireworks 3 years ago. While that may seem like alot (It is!), this was purchased via wholesale. So everything I purchased, was in cases. 3 of this, 4 of that, 3 of this thing, 15 of that. I was able to do 2 small community picnic shows that lasted about 8 minutes each, and because of your proximity to the effects, rivaled that of a short large city show. At the time of purchase, I actually saved quite a bit as well, about $500 as this was all purchased during the winter time.

isn't everyone a pyro at heart?
My parents told I could burn the trash and showed me how use the matches. All I had to do was empty all the trash can in the house and take it all out to the burn barrel. From second grade on there never was a full trash can in our house.

I just prefer wood heat over all others and I needed a well made reliable, easy to operate brand for my primary heat source.

Reactions: stoveliker
Independence from a system in decay, full of corruption, decite, and backwardness. Chopping wood, knowing each swing is tax free and not funding waste, fraud and abuse. Its also pretty comfy having the house at 80+ all winter with the windows open. I imaging Gretta giving me the "how dare you".
It is literally impossible not to take a single action, including breathing, without having a tax associated.
Income is taxed, your wood probably was taxed, if not your stove, and your axe, and the land you are standing on, the air you breath is taxed (clean air regulations, someone has to do the regulating, and they get paid money from.....your taxes).

It is literally impossible not to take a single action, including breathing, without having a tax associated.
Income is taxed, your wood probably was taxed, if not your stove, and your axe, and the land you are standing on, the air you breath is taxed (clean air regulations, someone has to do the regulating, and they get paid money from.....your taxes).
Yes but our air is without question cleaner and our stoves are way better due to those regulations.

I would say my main reason is to save money. But also I feel I need to burn wood in order to advise my customers properly.

I would say all of the reasons listed other than fear of total collapse fit to some extent for me though

Reactions: ispinwool
Yes but our air is without question cleaner and our stoves are way better due to those regulations.
ha, yes our air is much cleaner. My grandparents where part of that likely first major change toward cleaner air and regulations. Google Donora smog disaster. The stories they would tell me. Not only that, but what happened to the rivers next to the mills.

I redid my home and added the stove thinking I would have the occasional fire. Man was I wrong.. It quickly grew into my primary heating.. It felt so much nicer, warmer, relaxing to watch. I purchased my brand of stove based on some friends that had the brand and I liked the looks as well as they had no issues with the stove. I started to enjoy 5he savings as well as the independence that came with owning the stove. I have access to free food and have my own equipment.. so all free wood and machinery to move it without it being time consuming and labor intensive...

I didn't intend any of it.. it grew on me like a fungus.. I love it..

ha, yes our air is much cleaner. My grandparents where part of that likely first major change toward cleaner air and regulations. Google Donora smog disaster. The stories they would tell me. Not only that, but what happened to the rivers next to the mills.
Yes. And the creeks and rivers in coal mining areas that used to be dead and run bright orange. They are still far from perfect but getting better about

I edited the poll to not show who voted for what.

Prior to the pandemic, I was considering a pellet insert for my fireplace. Then I decided to put on an expansion and we started that in May of the first year of the pandemic. I designed out the room and included space for a stove. I quickly changed my mind to log burning, after seeing how easily and quickly the world can get turned upside down. Old ladies fighting each other for TP, my anti gun friends rushing out to buy pistols/shotguns for home defense afraid people coming to loot.

So you can kinda guess one of the choices I picked :)

I edited the poll to not show who voted for what.

Prior to the pandemic, I was considering a pellet insert for my fireplace. Then I decided to put on an expansion and we started that in May of the first year of the pandemic. I designed out the room and included space for a stove. I quickly changed my mind to log burning, after seeing how easily and quickly the world can get turned upside down. Old ladies fighting each other for TP, my anti gun friends rushing out to buy pistols/shotguns for home defense afraid people coming to loot.

So you can kinda guess one of the choices I picked :)
My hubby was leaning towards a pellet stove too...but I honestly didn't want to be dependent on being able to buy pellets--what if they become scarce (like the TP! LOL) ...? And where would we store them? We have 30 acres of hunting property that we can scrounge wood from....and my favorite gift I ever bought Hubby was a log splitter. LOL! He gets it started for me and I split "until the cows come home" :)

We bought a house that connects to the family farm. With 450 acres of fields and woods there's always something that makes great firewood around that needs cleaned up. We also love the heat and that feeling of independence.

We had a pellet stove in our old house for 12+ years and it served us well but at times pellets are hard to come by. I always kept 3-4 ton on hand but was still always nervous about it.

Fast forward to new to us home and it came with a 20 year old DutchWest that included a chimney that had chimney fire damage.

We weighed the options and decided on a new BK woodstove because I know what the wood supply is. If I get too old and crippled up to cut and split we can always go back to pellets.

We have this problem here. Ours went out twice this summer just from two wicked storms.
Likewise here this summer, once for 6 hrs. with moderate storms. Our trees are stressed due to repeated hot dry summers and dropping big limbs at times during strong winds. Our big elm dropped a big limb from high up this summer during that wind. Glad I wasn't mowing underneath it at the time!!!

• Wow
Reactions: RomanW
I got a stove to have somewhere to put the excess wood that my land generates. So far I've not felled a tree for firewood. I burn trees that fell or that the power company took down or that I needed to take down for some reason (usually because they died). The land here is really productive and the forest already is overstocked with fuels.

I was giving wood away but that was a hassle. Not many people here both burn wood and have a trailer to haul wood.

Burning it myself is not that much additional work than I was already doing. I just have to split and stack.

Burning less propane is a side benefit, as is a warmer house. The wife and cats appreciate the heat.