Whitfield WP4 Quest - not feeding pellets fast enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

dmathieu

Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Litchfield, NH
I just bought this stove used. I have the pellet feed to fastest and I can hear the motor spin every 3 seconds. However it does not feed pellets every time it spins. I notice a gap (see picture), is that OK or should it be caulked.

Please advise, thanks
Dave

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Whitfield WP4 Quest - not feeding pellets fast enough
    thumbnail_IMG_1009.webp
    121.5 KB · Views: 3
I don't know about that particular stove, but my stoves have 2 feed augers (upper and lower) so hearing the motor does not necessarily coincide with feeding pellets into the pot, The 2 auger system is one of the safety features I believe as even if there is back-burn, it can't get too far sand shouldn't get into the hopper.

That gap does not look good at all. I'm no stove expert so am unsure of what that actually goes to (exhaust fan, room blower fan, auger from hopper). At best, it may disturb the air flow inside the stove so the start/burn may be delayed or funky. At worst (exhaust fan), that could pump smoke/gas into your living quarters.