White Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckless

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2013
Orange county, NY
Is this white oak? Looks like some sort of oak when I split it and there are other live whites in the area..... this one was standing dead with no leaves.

Attachments

• White Oak?
    IMG_1597.JPG
    415.6 KB · Views: 200
  • White Oak?
    IMG_1600.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 194
  • White Oak?
    IMG_1603.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 204
  • White Oak?
    IMG_1604.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 208
  • White Oak?
    IMG_1605.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Yup its one of the White Oaks.Could be White,Bur,Chestnut etc.But that closed cell end grain & tan heartwood is a dead giveaway.

Was the tree dropped in the location the pictures were taken?

In the one pic where leaves on the ground are visible, I cannot find any white oak leaves.

pn

Thanks just double checking. Its measuring low 20's on a fresh split, so hope it will dry quick :)

Was the tree dropped in the location the pictures were taken?

In the one pic where leaves on the ground are visible, I cannot find any white oak leaves.

pn

Tree was standing in a forest and is leafless. Its been dead so long the bark falls off and u can see the outer ring is a little punky, but the inside is hard as rocks.

Tree was standing in a forest and is leafless. Its been dead so long the bark falls off and u can see the outer ring is a little punky, but the inside is hard as rocks.
That would be another white oak characteristic, the sapwood can rot away while the heartwood is exactly as you describe.

white oak, without a doubt......probably has a vanilla-ish or apple cider vinegar-ish scent to it.....
Just got done splitting a heap of chestnut oak this evening from the job we did over the weekend......not finished yet, but did put a dent in the heap of giant rounds. Got 20 splits from one round......good stuff.

white oak, without a doubt......probably has a vanilla-ish or apple cider vinegar-ish scent to it.....:ZZZ

Ok Scotty ...which is it ;lol Either way great score !

White oak for sure. Not sure about pic 34 but the rest looks all the same. If you know it's some kind of oak, then the sweet aroma tells you it's white.

Ok Scotty ...which is it ;lol Either way great score !
funny because most white oak I get here on the farm has the vanilla smell to it....it's almost heavenly, IMO. Now, this chestnut oak I cut down over the weekend, has the apple cider/cinnamon/vinegary smell to it. I love apple cider vinegar, too....so I like it. But chestnut oak is in the white oak family, so I don't know why it smells so different. Maybe soil/topography, or something....dunno.....

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Gotta agree the white smells like vanilla.. Chessnut ,does has a bitter smell like cider. And ive always thought redoak kinda smelled like ketchup ;lol

Reactions: ScotO
Chestnut oak smells like mustard seed and red oak smells like fermented honey. And Chestnut oak smells like mustard seed whether its a frest cut or a half rotted log. It could be drying in a rack for ten years and if you cut into it ...theres that nasty mustard smell.

Reactions: Reckless
Status
Not open for further replies.