Whistling Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CentralVAWoodHeat

Minister of Fire
Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
I've seen previous threads on this topic but wanted to get current thoughts.

My F600 has a very faint but detectable whistle during the flame phase of the burn cycle. My Castine was silent but this one sounds like the faint whistle of wind on a very windy night.

To borrow thoughts from a previous post, it sounds like my stove is haunted ☺.

The stove performs flawlessly so I'm not too concerned but just wanted to see others experience with this type of sound on a wood stove.

It happens one some stoves that have a chimney with great draft. Not too uncommon.
Good to know. Thanks for that!

Just as long as I know it is a good whistle, I am happy to put up with it.

The new F600 certainly does have a very strong draft.

Mine doesn’t whistle, but drafts pretty hard. It has a 20’ liner. I’ve seen a few stoves that do whistle though.

The stove performs flawlessly so I'm not too concerned but just wanted to see others experience with this type of sound on a wood stove.[/QUOTE]
it is built same as my jotul 500 then once it gets a good start there is the air hole at the back bottom side maybe 3in , it is what pulls air into the stove and allows air wash as wellas air feed thru the 3 holes in the front bottom inside fire box , u can see thru the glass inside unless covered with ashes , when mine gets cranking it pulls air thru that hole and has slight whistle which I appreciate as didn't use to get that because pipe was wrong:) U adjust the amount of air with the slide under front glass from - to +

Good to know. Thanks for that!

Just as long as I know it is a good whistle, I am happy to put up with it.

The new F600 certainly does have a very strong draft.
Our Castine used to have a low whistle sometimes when the air control was all the way closed. It was the air passing through the narrow portion of the air control still open for EPA regs.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Does it seem tp be coming from the left front corner near the top, or is it even possible to tell?

Our Castine used to have a low whistle sometimes when the air control was all the way closed. It was the air passing through the narrow portion of the air control still open for EPA regs.
With all these responses, it sounds like the 'spooky' stove sound is relatively common.

I do appreciate everyone chiming in on this. Helps put my mind at ease.

Does it seem tp be coming from the left front corner near the top, or is it even possible to tell?
I've listened all over the stove and it sounds like it is either near where the air intake for the stove is, underneath the stove, or near the first foot of pipe exiting the collar.

Totally different locations, I know. Probably best then to say I can't isolate the sound ☺.

As far as the volume of the sound, it is only barely audible when the room is completely silent.

I had an annoying whistle on my new PE classic during the energetic startup phase of a burn. Slight air leak around the collar pipe. Put some Rutland furnace cement around the connection to the stove and it went away.

Last edited by a moderator: