Which stove would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LMC

Aug 5, 2024
Courtenay, BC
We are installing a wood stove in our 1800 sq Rancher on Vancouver Island and would love feedback. Our installer is making us doubt our choice of a Drolet Deco Alto. Described it as cheap and low quality. He is suggesting a Quadra Fire Discover 2 (double the price). The problem is I can't find many reviews about either stove. Does anyone have experience with these stoves or suggestions? We would love a cast iron stove but it is out of our budget. Seeking a simple non-catalytic stove that can burn through the night and won't break the bank. More modern design is a plus too. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Drolet is a solid brand. Yes it's a lower cost version of Osburn, but it's reported here to be good quality. People are happy with them.

Reactions: LMC
Your rep is disengenuous.

The Drolet's are an excellent stove. I am more than satisfied with both of ours.

Thank you so much for your replies. It helps a ton! Does anyone have experience with the Drolet Deco Alto specifically? Wondering if it will burn through the night- ( with the right wood and banked down. )

A 2.4 cu ft firebox should be able to. I e. Loading it when you go to bed it should at least have coals suitable for relighting without matches in the morning.
Whether it can put out enough heat to keep your house warm during that time depends on how much heat your home needs