Where to place thermometer on hearthstone manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moranaj

Oct 19, 2018
PA
I recently had a hearthstone manchester installed and the thermometer was on the stove top in the middle. Seems like a bad place for it since the stove top has air between that and the actual stove top. Can anyone tell me where the best place to put it is? The stove top will read 225 for example and the side of the stove reads 375. I want to make sure I'm not burning at low temps. Any help is appreciated

Can someone please help me out? From everything I've read I shouldn't really see smoke leaving the chimney but i do which leaves me to believe I'm not burning hot enough so knowing where to measure temperature is the first step

It’s gonna be tough on that stove. A no contact thermometer would be a better bet.

Your temps don’t sound off to me. How’s your wood quality?

What do you mean by a no contact thermometer? I have a moisture meter and have only been feeding the stove wood that reads less than 15 percent. Right now I have the thermometer on the side of it which I thought would be better than the stove top on that specific model no?

What do you mean by a no contact thermometer? I have a moisture meter and have only been feeding the stove wood that reads less than 15 percent. Right now I have the thermometer on the side of it which I thought would be better than the stove top on that specific model no?
Hand held laser thermometer. Is that 15% checked with a piece split just before testing?

Yes I check the ends and if they are good I split it and check the center. Sorry for a million questions I'm just nervous about building a bunch of creosote up by unintentionally doing something wrong. Is this what I want my fire to look like when it's been burning a while? It's hard to know how to control the damper and the air supply when I dont know what I'm aiming for

Attachments

• 20181021_190338.mp4
    6.9 MB · Views: 179