Where to find MSRP to get an idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I was just looking at some inserts and noticed that on their website, Quadra fire has a feature where you can price out different stoves and options. Do many others do this or is Quadrafire really the only one? I am just wondering, since I am looking for a dealer and it looks like most dealers specialize in just a brand or two. I want to go to the dealer that has the inserts I am most interested in, but it would be good to have some general idea which stoves are priced higher and lower within the decent brands. I am looking (so far) at Quadrafire, Lopi, Regency, Jotul, Pacific Energy etc. It seems these are all pretty well respected brands. But when it comes to inserts, they all look pretty similar unless you are going for some fancy surrounds or whatnot, so I figure price point is as good a place for me to investigate as any?

It may sound like a hassle. but calling the local dealers will give you an idea on price AND you'll get a feel for how they handle their customers before you visit their shops

Thanks all! Appreciate the input very much. Crazy dan, thanks, that gives me potential price info on two of the other major manufacturers!

Have been checking some of these stoves (thanks to the listings you guys put here) out as well as the Englander/Summers heat and Drolet which can easily be priced online. The Osburn inserts have also caught my eye.

But does anyone have any idea of a roundabout price on the Lopi Republic Insert (I think it's the 1750) - the Republic line are supposed to be high quality but with a lower pricepoint, and the insert looks to extend out of the fireplace a bit, which most of the Englander type inserts do not appear to do. I would probably be going for an Englander at this point but I am trying to see if I can afford anything a little closer to what I was originally looking for. Anyone know of the prices on the inserts? I saw one thread that said that the Republic freestanding stove was something like $500 less than the similar Revere, but it didn't say what that brought the price to. Plus I am guessing that the insert might be priced a little differently? There is a dealer about an hour's drive away but I just want to have some idea before I go out there whether this is something I can afford.

tickbitty said:
There is a dealer about an hour's drive away but I just want to have some idea before I go out there whether this is something I can afford.

Call the dealer and ask.

Bbart, will do, thanks.

Cneutral, although I think it's really helpful to know at least a roundabout price going in, I think a lot of these stoves are sold in a market demand situation, meaning the dealers mark up accordingly, due to the demand and their expenses and a host of other issues - it's probably similar to the car market, though even there you have some idea what you are going to spend but you really don't know what's going to get you out the door until you are going lot to lot and finally sitting there at the bargaining table with them. It's just a free market practice, I guess... I would rather know going in, but then again if one guy publishes the price of a stove, but he does a ton of business he can sell more for less profit on each one, whereas a mom/pop dealership might have to make a little more on each one to stay in business.

At my local dealer (not the one an hour away but right here in town) I have a feeling they are just expensive cause they don't give a darn, and because a lot of the people who shop there are both rich and uninformed. So I suspect they have price markup for other reasons. I might stop in and give them a chance again now that I have done all this exhaustive hearth.com research, just to get a baseline and see what lines they are carrying these days. Last I checked they had a couple little, tinny dutchwest inserts and carried the Regency line, but not much more than that. And the prices were outta hand.

Just an FYI in case anyone else cares, I did call the dealer - very nice folks. They don't have the Lopi Republic yet but would order it, and the complete insert would end up probably around $2000. ($1800 or so for the freestanding model.) That's versus the Lopi Revere insert which would be more like $2700. They also carry an insert by FLame that is running about $1800. I haven't seen images of it but it sounds similar to the Englander and other inserts which are nearly flush to the front of the fireplace, just extending a couple inches.

Still not sure quite where I am going with this yet, but thanks all for the input.

When we were out and about last week we observed the following prices (from least to most expensive for a medium sized inset):

The Pacific Energy Pacific (called the Super now) was on sale for $1750 (includes blower). I believe it's normally about $2000.

Lopi Revere for 1939. The blower was another 289 though so if you wanted it with blower it was $2218.

Does anyone have experience with the following company?? A stove made by Country (recently bought by Lennox home heating/cooling) called the Legacy 260 was 1959 and the blower cost 329 for a total of $2288.

A Quadra-fire 3100i was $2549 (includes blower)

Blaze King Princess was $2595 (includes blower)

How do those prices seem to compare to what other forum posters have seen? I pretty much believe that any non-sale price has an automatic 10-15% discount (a fairly standard "sale" price) that you should be able to get if you try. I've found that "generally" in most retail situations a profit is still being had untill they start discounting more than approximately 20-30% so there's wiggle room available assuming they want to make a sale. Anyone else have an opinion on this aspect of profit margins?

Those prices all sound better than what I have seen (or heard) around here, but it's probably because there is a lot more competition in your area, being really COLD and whatnot!
A couple people on here have mentioned the Country stoves and they seem to think that they are quite good.

Country stoves were made right here in WA for many decades. They were made in Auburn as I recall and are a very good stove, comparable with a Lopi. Lennox bought them out a few years ago so any "Country" you see is old stock.

Blaze king is also made in WA in Walla-walla so you can get a better price I would think. Also, quadrafire and Lopi/regency/avalon are all Washington companies. The PE line is from just a bit north in BC.

Highbeam said:
Country stoves were made right here in WA for many decades. They were made in Auburn as I recall and are a very good stove, comparable with a Lopi. Lennox bought them out a few years ago so any "Country" you see is old stock.

Blaze king is also made in WA in Walla-walla so you can get a better price I would think. Also, quadrafire and Lopi/regency/avalon are all Washington companies. The PE line is from just a bit north in BC.

I agree HB and Tick; having all those made so close must be the reason they're priced better than out East.

HB- Just to clarify, when you said "Blaze king is also made in WA in Walla-walla so you can get a better price I would think" did you mean the price I was finding was probably good because they're made in Walla Walla or were you saying I should be able to get a better price than the one I found (like driving to Wallla Walla perhaps)? Thanks.

If nothing else, you can visit the factory and pick it up. Maybe there are walla walla dealers that have like no shipping cost to pass on. There was a retailer that had online pricing for the BKs that was out of WA and he was even shipping the stoves but got in trouble, likely from this forum, and took down his pricing. It was real good pricing. Does anyone remember the site. I want to say something like autorain.com.

Dude, if you can swing it, get a BK.

Highbeam said:
If nothing else, you can visit the factory and pick it up. Maybe there are walla walla dealers that have like no shipping cost to pass on. There was a retailer that had online pricing for the BKs that was out of WA and he was even shipping the stoves but got in trouble, likely from this forum, and took down his pricing. It was real good pricing. Does anyone remember the site. I want to say something like autorain.com.

Dude, if you can swing it, get a BK.

I thought about going to Walla Walla but I thought most manufacturers only sold their products through their dealers. I'm looking into this just in case.

So you'd rather have a BK instead of your Heritage?

just ordered our heatnglo northstar today and got 25% off

53flyer said:
I thought about going to Walla Walla but I thought most manufacturers only sold their products through their dealers. I'm looking into this just in case.

So you'd rather have a BK instead of your Heritage?

Even if BK won't sell direct, they can likely give you a very local retail outlet and wink a little.

I love everything about the BK except two things. It's looks and the location of the flue outlet. The stove looks really bad and the wife hates it. After you own a hearthstone or other especially nice looking stove you learn to appreciate how good a stove can look even in the summer. That BK looks like a big mac box, it is sort of their signature ugliness though and I don't think it will change. The automatic stat, super long burn times, and large firebox options are superior in the stove world. You can NOT beat a BK for actual performance. The flue outlet is only an issue because it doesn't line up with my ceiling mounted flue so I would need to put an offset into the flue to hook up.

We got 9.5 hours from our heritage last night loaded up with doug fir and turned down as low as it would go. It has always done everything as advertised and looked dang good doing it but consider that the BK has only slightly larger firebox and gets 20 hour burns vs. my 9.5. Think about that, it burns twice as long on the same wood. Burn time is the golden feature here with stoves, to be able to sleep through the night or be at work all day and the fire is still purring along is very valuable to real people that heat with wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.