When to Re-brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain Frank

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Southbury
Hi friends, Can any one tell me the rule as to when to re-line your wood stove? I have and old (1978) Nashua wood burner. It was in the house when I bought it so I do not have any documentation on it. For the past two years it has done well, however suddenly this year there are powerful fumes, to the degree that it burns your eyes, coming from the stove itself, not the pipes. I cleaned, and re-cleaned the chimny, replaced the gaskets, have not painted it... I am stuck! Any thoughts are appreciated.
Chaplain Frank

possible that the stove developed a crack in a place that's hard to see. W/ it running, you can move around the stove w/ an incense stick to see if the smoke is drawn in anywhere.

pen

Do you have a Carbon Monoxide detector in your house? I agree with Pen, maybe a crack. If it is burning your eyes I'm guessing you have CO in the house. You have me worried. :long:

Okay, I'm on it, carbon monoxide detectors and check for leaks with an incense stick to see if any smoke gets drawn in. Great advice guys, thanks. I really appreciate your quick response and insights.
Chaplain Frank

I'd personally use this as an excuse to enjoy a good cigar in the house. I suppose the stove would draw in any smoke brought near the vicinity of a crack as it wouldn't care what the source of the smoke was :) I suppose it depends on your taste. Do as you see fit.

Please let us know how you make out.

pen

Chaplain Frank said:
Okay, I'm on it, carbon monoxide detectors and check for leaks with an incense stick to see if any smoke gets drawn in. Great advice guys, thanks. I really appreciate your quick response and insights.
Chaplain Frank
Chaplain Frank, So you don't have a CO detector? Still worried!

Okay, now we're gettin somewhere; I like the cigar idea, those I have on hand, however it's been years... No I do not have CO detectors but will rectify that today. Again, thanks for the thoughts and concerns.
Chaplain Frank

Chaplain Frank said:
Okay, now we're gettin somewhere; I like the cigar idea, those I have on hand, however it's been years... No I do not have CO detectors but will rectify that today. Again, thanks for the thoughts and concerns.
Chaplain Frank
OK CF, that's good. You let us know what you find out.

Happy New Years friends!!!
Sorry I have not gotten back to update you guys sooner but it has been a tough couple of weeks. Well I installed the CO detectors and enjoyed a cigar while I checked for any leaks. I found none. So, once again I cleaned the stove, the pipes and the chimney and still the fumes were overwhelming. So I decided to clean the blower on the back of the stove because it had some dust lodged in it. I removed the blower and could see something just inside the opening leading into the stove. It was a big blob of something that I could not immediately identify. However after a closer examination I figured out that the black chard object was in fact a remote control to the famliy room television. Thus the answer to the toxic fumes emanating from my stove. Man, what a bugger chiseling that sucker out-a-there. I got most of it but a small remnant remains, just enough to smell a little when it gets really hot. So, how did this happen you may ask? Well, if you are familiar with Nashua stoves, some models have a baffle that allows air to be blown into the room through small openings on either side of the stove, yes you guessed it, an opening just big enough to allow an 18month old grandson to hide a remote during his stay at Grandad's over the summer. Oh well, what can you do. At least now I have a very clean and tight stove... All I could do is laugh.
Blessings to all,
Chaplain Frank

perfect! Thanks for the update.

pen

:lol:

Glad this all worked out good Frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.