Whats the oddest fuel you have burned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
Whats the weirdest fuel you have burned in a wood stove.? I ask this in response to the Dog crap post earlier. A few years ago I owned a Coffee shop and had lots of left over bagels....well the bagels would sit aroung in paper bags for a few weeks and the pile grew and grew. By the time I took them home they were rock hard. Ever the Scotsman (cheap) I decided to use them in our wood stove. They glowed a nice red and the onion ones actually made the house smell like my wife cooked.

Ok, that's a good one!

I'm too new at this to have done much experimenting; I've only had my insert installed for a couple of weeks. You do have me looking at everything in the room in a whole new way though :)

I sure hope I don't come across this thread again after a few beers....

WOW!
Crap and Bagels
What won't they think of next.

I'm just glad I figured out what a CAT really was before I chucked one of mine in (I'm sure Felix and Oscar are glad also)!

I plead the 5th! At least for the old days when I was younger and poorer.

Mostly stick to wood, occasional tidbits of junk mail, a holy sock now and then, couple hundred pounds of coal last year. Wife ask if she could burn some lavender so we chucked that in. She ask to throw something else in last year...forget what, but we immediately looked at each other and decided it smelled like the biggest pile of weed burning. I cringed at the thought of that scent whifting through the neighborhood, but thought that the one saving grace might be the fact that it was dark!

Corey

I burned the weirdest and most expensive fuel ever years ago. Five Hart Schaffner and Marxs suits that had seen their better days. Tossed them in the stove one at a time. Wool burns really good.

Original cost. Around five hundred a suit.

Dylan said:
BrotherBart said:
I burned the weirdest and most expensive fuel ever years ago. Five Hart Schaffner and Marxs suits that had seen their better days. Tossed them in the stove one at a time. Wool burns really good.

Original cost. Around five hundred a suit.

In my case, there were no rivets and and the zipper has made it to the garden....but in your case, BB, I DO hope you saved those buttons.

Sure did. Those HSM Corporate Collection buttons were damned hard to find, as in can't find them no way. Saved them all.

Snip the buttons. Toss it in the fire. Snip the buttons. Toss it in the fire.

yes, in very small amounts; the CO will get you long before the HCN. Of course neither will be a problem if your burning it in a VENTED appliance. :roll:

Hi - I scrounged several odd loads of wood over the years:

- Baseball Bat seconds
- Lovely scraps from a Coffin Factory - Much of the wood was so nice it ended up in other small projects
- Trouckloads of wooden brushes (Beech) in various stages of manufacture
- Hammer handle seconds
- Old hickory Tobacco hanging rails

They're all good!
Mike P

The crate the stove came in. Wires and staples included. Burned very well. :p

I find the best way to get the old wood removed from wood handles, is to place the axe head in the wood stove
Just remember to retrieve it when the stove has cooled a bit and not with your bare hands

Watch burning wool......I think it puts off Cyanide gas when it is burned
yes, in very small amounts; the CO will get you long before the HCN. Of course neither will be a problem if your burning it in a VENTED appliance.

Won't the flames get you long before the CO or the HCN?.... Oh, remove the suit before burning...

Anton Smirnov said:
Where did you get penut hull pellets? was it someplace down south?

I forget exactly where we got them...it was one I had a store. I think one of my distributors was trying them. They had come from VA.

They were cheap - like $30. a ton FOB.

They were high ash, about 3%, and my guess is that these would only burn in a Harman type - that is bottom feed mechanism. They worked very well at the time with that same mechanism (in a VC Pellet stove, which was a partnership of VC/Harman)

HI Guys,

I am still, young, not necessarily poor but definitely frugal.

I have burnt anything that will burn: old moulding, old doors (find the hinges in the morning ash), lead based painted paneling, old studs, old roofing planks with asphalt shingles and let's not forget pallets!!! Lots and lots of pallets. I get them from deliveries at work or on the work sites.

Pallets. Great kindling wood. Hate the nails in the grates.

carpniels

Nah, these are used for animal feed and other uses as it is, so they are compressed just like regular pellets. They were every bit as dense. It was really only the ash and smell that differed.

As you can imagine, there are a LOT of these available.

Dylan - You reminded me of a buddy who had a massive stove in his large garage on the farm. I once saw him burn the entire remains of a large deer he's just finished processing! Bones, Hide and all! Glad I wasn't downwind on that one!

Mike P

For me, I would say a bat. One that flew down my liner, got trapped above my secondary burn baffle, and started trying to eat its way out. I lit a fire to stop him, and he burnt. Pretty sad.

He was biting/clawing into the baffle insulation, sounded awful like he was ripping it apart and about to break through, I wasn't going to let it. It didn't scream at least, I think it was overcome by smoke first. I hope anyway :)

Rhonemas said:
He was biting/clawing into the baffle insulation, sounded awful like he was ripping it apart and about to break through, I wasn't going to let it. It didn't scream at least, I think it was overcome by smoke first. I hope anyway :)

"Hello Santa? BB here. Yeah how ya doing? Hey I wanted to call and warn you about this Rhonemas guy. When you come to his chimney this year..."

I found a big clump of those Ladybugs behind a board in the shop, you know the way the clump up behind something when it gets cold. They started moving faster when I tossed em in the stove with some wads of burning paper. They are evil little things, no mater how much they deny it the DNR must be responsible. :)

Hmmmmm, I have set aside alot of persimmon drivers and 3woods for a yard sale in the Spring. But, if they don't sell.....pipe cutter to the neck ( golf club shaft location) and into the stove they go. Thanks for the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.