whats better VC Montpelier or Rainier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've added to the title so that you will get more hits.

The Rainier has been around for awhile and is an almost bulletproof stove. There are several reviews in the review section: https://www.hearth.com/ratings/search.php.
Looks like a spelling error in the name search might be the problem.

The Montpelier is new, reports are just starting to trickle in. The reviews in the review section are pretty grumpy so far. Also in this range worth looking at might be the Jotul C450, Pacific Energy Super, and the Regency 2400i (or Hampton HI300 if you like the fancier jacket).

Yes the reviews are grumpy for the Montpelier. I haven't added mine yet because I want to get some more experience using it.

Our setup is full SS liner with soft blockoff at the damper, and plate at the top. The insert is flush mounted into a heatilator type heat exchanging fireplace.
There's not much heat coming off the insert without the blower. You can get a 3" bump-out kit which will probably give more natural convection, but we (wife) wanted to retain as much hearth space as possible. We (wife) also liked the large glass.

We started our first season by burning splits that were way too thick. 3 would almost fill the firebox. Not a lot of heat coming from it, and lots of dirty glass.
Late in the season I was re-splitting almost every piece of wood. Stove was burning hotter, with almost no buildup on the glass. We usually run the stove with the air shut all the way down...nice swirling fire.

I'm anxious to see if the stove was burning better because of our burning practices, or because of better draft due to colder weather.

Review: we like the stove. There have been no mechanical issues, so no customer service required. Seems to heat ok. House is a cape cod, and we allow the heat to flow upstairs to the kids bedrooms. Livingroom is warm, and upstairs is warm (for a change). Rest of the house is cool. We're still learning about moving the cold air from other parts of the house. I guess we could close the upstairs bedroom doors to keep the heat downstairs during the day...might try that if we get bored.

Good Luck -Gabe

I like the Montpelier. But I would agree to get it cooken you must have well seasoned splits 4" or smaller. I use larger splitt for over night. Insert is nice because you can fit logs up to 22 " Glass stays clean. I use it as primary heat 74 living room 68 upstairs. And it looks like a fire place huge glass area! There has been negative reviews from newbies that don't understand that you cannot buy seasoned wood! Season your wood yourself for a year or two and you will be happy. I don't know about other makes but this unit needs seasoned wood. If you read some post here it seems like the general rule for all new stoves.

I pretty much echo what Fod01 and allhandsworking have said. I like my Montpelier. However, I realize it will be costly to replace any of the cast panels inside if I ever need to. I am also concerned about the leveling feet. They are bolts threaded into little cast ears that you crank up. They look like they could be easily snapped off, but I must admit so far they are fine. I haven't looked closely at other brands though so I have nothing to compare it to. It's still early in ownership (burned it about 6 weeks at the end of last season), but so far so good. As others have said, have properly seasoned wood. Mine burns hot, clean glass, vigorous secondary burn, inside masonry panels clean and white, primary air all the way closed, etc.

Steve

The little cast ears that you talk about yep mine riped off. It does not effect the leveling bolt though. I placed a small piece of steel under them to prevent them from digging into the brick hearth! I dont know what the purpose off those caps (ears) are for any way. I forgot about it till you mentioned it! I wonder how other inserts level ? I burned 6 months no problem. Oh yeah very little creosote when I sweeped my chimney. We had a vermont casting in the 70s you could throw a wet mop in it and it would burn. The difference with the new stoves is heat output,efficency and it is cool as hell to watch the secondary burn tubes blow torch and swerl flame around the fire box. I posted a video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP-WfEy7zko (Montpelier insert video)

Wow, very nice video. I'm glade you posted it. It looks like a lot of other stoves burning on the secondary’s and backed down. I thought and now am pretty sure my wood was too dry. I still have a face cord of it left. It's now about four years old. My secondary’s would be blowing extremely vigorous flames out toward and a lot of the time onto the glass and the wood would be completely engulfed in flame also. Even with the primary air all the way off. It's like it would run away for about an hour or so before enough surface wood would burn up then it would settle down some. But never like yours. I had the feeling I was not in control of it. I may get a little bit longer burn time out of it also with more traditionally well seasoned wood. What I had seems almost like kiln dried. On the feet, yeah, that figures. If I remember right, I think I was close enough to just back them off. I have them on the hearth floor but not much pressure on them. Not lifting the unit at all.

To the OP, as BeGreen pointed out, there are many good units out there. Check out the Montpelier and the others too. The Rainier also looks good.

Steve

I had a large bed of coals. I had just put a large 1/2 split on top of the coals so it took a little to get it going. It may have been under seasoned also. With dryer wood I also had intence flame blowing on the glass. That air wash system really works! I let my coals burn down a bit before adding more wood. The insert puts heat out even after there is no more flame. This extends your burn time! My first few weeks I keeped pilling on wood. Its not nessesary! excuse my spelling without spell check!

Mark

OK, I guess that is normal and I shouldn't be concerned. I also let it go to coals before reloading as most others do.

Steve

I was very close to buying the VC, but the two dealers I spoke with said to keep in mind that it will be costly to replace the firebrick, since it's custom made for that stove. I went with the Jotul C450 - we'll see how it does this winter. The few burns I've had have been very impressive with heat output (important to me) and the fire 'view' (important to my wife).

I really like the looks of that insert. I think any of the three (C 350, 450, 550) would be a good choice. Just pick your size.

Steve

Can I ask what the price of the insert is & what surround you chose? I am looking at this insert & the hampton hi200. I also like the jotul, but only the small one will work in my zc box & it is only 40k btu.

Fod01 said:
Yes the reviews are grumpy for the Montpelier. I haven't added mine yet because I want to get some more experience using it.

Our setup is full SS liner with soft blockoff at the damper, and plate at the top. The insert is flush mounted into a heatilator type heat exchanging fireplace.
There's not much heat coming off the insert without the blower. You can get a 3" bump-out kit which will probably give more natural convection, but we (wife) wanted to retain as much hearth space as possible. We (wife) also liked the large glass.

We started our first season by burning splits that were way too thick. 3 would almost fill the firebox. Not a lot of heat coming from it, and lots of dirty glass.
Late in the season I was re-splitting almost every piece of wood. Stove was burning hotter, with almost no buildup on the glass. We usually run the stove with the air shut all the way down...nice swirling fire.

I'm anxious to see if the stove was burning better because of our burning practices, or because of better draft due to colder weather.

Review: we like the stove. There have been no mechanical issues, so no customer service required. Seems to heat ok. House is a cape cod, and we allow the heat to flow upstairs to the kids bedrooms. Livingroom is warm, and upstairs is warm (for a change). Rest of the house is cool. We're still learning about moving the cold air from other parts of the house. I guess we could close the upstairs bedroom doors to keep the heat downstairs during the day...might try that if we get bored.

Good Luck -Gabe
Hey Gabe The differeance one year makes. My splits are much better seasoned this year. Much hotter and no build up on glass what so ever! I just wipe with some news paper to get the slight ash of the glass. If you have black build up on the glass your burning green wood! You should not have any build up at all. Its a learning process for sure! Glad to hear your finding what works also!

Status
Not open for further replies.