What would you do with a little bit of coal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I'm talking about a quantity of around (5) 5 gallon buckets or so. Maybe there is more, but not much. My father was a coal burner and left a bit for me. He would undoubtedly tell me to stick it in the bottom of Christmas stockings until my to be born child is out of college. (She's due next week! Not so stealthy of a gloat!)

My neighbor suggested using it as fill where he is going to have concrete poured next year. The firebug in me hates to do that to something that is combustible.

Do you think I could rig a little chiminea or some other back yard cooker to heat a patio with it? Should I see if I can get fired up hot enough with a fan to heat steel for blacksmithing? Drop it in the bags of trick or treaters? Put it in my daughters Dowry? Make a scary Youtube video of burning my shed down?

What say you firebugs?

Matt

I would advertise it on craigslist under the free items, they pick it up.

I actually know someone with an honest to god coal cellar filled with coal from when they bought the house. The previous owners had left it when they installed forced air, complete with coal burning stove. They stole the flu for the hot air system so the stove wasn't running anymore.

I would just have a bonfire with it or see if you can't score a free/cheap stove off craigslist. You won't feel bad feeding it The Wrong Stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.