What wood stove for a Viking Themed Man-Cave

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Lol... Arches are so 12th century! This is period is 8th and 9th. You know plunder & pillage.
Have you seen the clean face and the original? I always thought a clean face Oslo would be great, then I saw it in person... I prefer the arches. We’ve installed several clean face models, they’ve been pretty popular.

Have you seen the clean face and the original? I always thought a clean face Oslo would be great, then I saw it in person... I prefer the arches. We’ve installed several clean face models, they’ve been pretty popular.

Isn't the clean face easier to clean (on the outside)?

Isn't the clean face easier to clean (on the outside)?
I suppose, but it doesn’t really get dirty though. Maybe some dust over the course of the year. The arches don’t touch the glass, so a microfiber takes it off real easy.

Ok. So it looks like a stand alone garage, that no longer holds vehicles. Due to gas explosion concerns, some insurance companies have major issues with solid fuel appliances in garages.

Assuming the insurance company is game, how about some sort of imposing riverstone construction?

View attachment 233409

Depending on the design, it could be built to suck the smoke out of your kettle.

It would also suck the heat out of the place, but with enough radiant heat, or with enough extra heat from other sources, it might not be an issue.

That right there is a beautiful setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Webby... What about the CF don't you like? (I value your opinion.) I don't want to obstruct the view, fire ambiance is important to me.

Webby... What about the CF don't you like? (I value your opinion.) I don't want to obstruct the view, fire ambiance is important to me.
Personally I think it made the stove look cheaper, kinda lost its elegance.

That's fie work, I'm impressed. But what's the steel pole with the prongs on it?

I'm imagining it's a way of holding captured virgins captured in Britain or something?

Could be wrong...

Yeah, I kinda see that...
Thanks for the input. I'll let the Admiral (aka wife) decide.
Good idea
It’s weird, I really thought I’d love it, but I didn’t. I’ve had a few F-500’s, seeing the fire through the arches wasn’t ever a problem, never thought too much about it till they came out with the CF.

That's fie work, I'm impressed. But what's the steel pole with the prongs on it?

I'm imagining it's a way of holding captured virgins captured in Britain or something?

Could be wrong...

OMG.... that's a great idea. But no!
Its a converted Lat. machine now a rotisserie for 150 lbs of hog roasting. Was just trying to show the old VC stove.

Good idea
It’s weird, I really thought I’d love it, but I didn’t. I’ve had a few F-500’s, seeing the fire through the arches wasn’t ever a problem, never thought too much about it till they came out with the CF.

What I really want is the nautical looking door of the 400 on the 500!

I Had an Oslo in a small house years ago. Well insulated 1500 house. We couldn’t really enjoy the stove because it got so hot in there. We literally had a window open all winter. The bigger size may come at a price, Incase you weren’t aware.

The Castine F400 with a straight up 16 ft flue will behave quite nicely and is more than enough stove for that small space.

Reactions: webby3650
Awesome by the way!!!!

I'll let you know when I see that they've opened the search for 2019 crew. I haven't done it, but know people that have. They say it's a great experience.

People came from across the country in 2017 to live on it for a week at a time and give tours at Mystic. We're 93 miles from Mystic, so we drove down every weekend.

Lots of youtube videos that are really interesting.

The Castine F400 with a straight up 16 ft flue will behave quite nicely and is more than enough stove for that small space.
Yeah... about that.
Flue is 4 ft up, a 6 ft diagonal at 42 deg., 3 ft straight hoz./wall penetration, to 16 foot external chim. Once flue is heated I get great draft and ton O heat from the internal flue piping. But thats also the problem. It takes a lot to heat that sucker up. That why the 400 scares me... Thought about a draft pull system put they are not cheap....

That could be a challenge for several stoves. The worse part is the 3' horizontal heading into a 90º turn. Can that horiz section be eliminated by connecting the 45º elbow directly to the thimble? Why the long route instead of straight up and out?

What stove is in there now?

Yeah... about that.
Flue is 4 ft up, a 6 ft diagonal at 42 deg., 3 ft straight hoz./wall penetration, to 16 foot external chim. Once flue is heated I get great draft and ton O heat from the internal flue piping. But thats also the problem. It takes a lot to heat that sucker up. That why the 400 scares me... Thought about a draft pull system put they are not cheap....
Wow, that’s pretty scary! It should be double wall pipe at least.
I certainly didn’t think my Oslo’s were easy breathers, do you think it will be any better than a Castine?

That could be a challenge for several stoves. The worse part is the 3' horizontal heading into a 90º turn. Can that horiz section be eliminated by connecting the 45º elbow directly to the thimble? Why the long route instead of straight up and out?

What stove is in there now?

A Vermount Castings Defiant.
Because it is in a corner.
Because its a true Viking ceiling.
Because I did not want it puntured by an ugly stove pipe nor mess with all the roofing details that accompany installation thru a stave-wood ceiling and a very low pitched roof.
Think that about covers it ...lol

Whats better?
Long angled pipe or a multi-straights with turns 90 deg. turns? (...and yes I know a straight is best)

Softening the 90º turn and eliminating the horiz. run by using 45s with an offset will definitely help. So will switching to double-wall stove pipe.

The Castine, Hampton H300, Quad Explorer II will work. You might also want to look at the Enviro Boston and PE Alderlea T5.