What the dollar bill test doesn't catch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

venator260

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2015
Huntingdon County, Pa
I've posted here about how my 30nc is hard to control when it gets cold. I've checkes the door gasket and the ash plug, and figured it was just an easy breather.

Tonight I go to fire it up, as my basement was chilly and I wanted the house a little warmer.. I also had a negative draft. So I light paper in the stove (bad idea), and smoke pours from every hole in the stove, including the right side of the door glass. I come to find out (while also venting out my basement) that a screw stripped on the retainer, and it doesnt hold as tight as it should.

So I ran a bead of furnace cement around the glass to seal it up. It's now like running a whole new stove. Much more controllable. I'll tear it apart and try to replace the screw that's stripped when it warms up outside, but this was a good temporary fix.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Sorry to hear of the stripped screw. Have you given englander a call?

With my basement setup if I allow the stove to go stone cold I will get a down draft as well. I have had luck correcting it by shoving an old hair dryer up the stove’s air hole in the back and letting it run with the air control open and door closed to get the air going in the right direction up the chimney.

I usually just have the dryer pushing cold air, no heat setting. Even let it run at the start of the fire for a minute or two to ensure the house isn’t going to end up smelling like a kielbasa.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear of the stripped screw. Have you given englander a call?

With my basement setup if I allow the stove to go stone cold I will get a down draft as well. I have had luck correcting it by shoving an old hair dryer up the stove’s air hole in the back and letting it run with the air control open and door closed to get the air going in the right direction up the chimney.

I usually just have the dryer pushing cold air, no heat setting. Even let it run at the start of the fire for a minute or two to ensure the house isn’t going to end up smelling like a kielbasa.

Good luck.
No, I haven't contacted them. Not sure about whay the warranty is on this stove, I bought it in October 2016. I'll have to check into It. I'm not sure how it would be fixed by them short of sending a new door. I was going to just drill a new hole or two and use self tapping screws to secure the part that holds the glass.

Or just let the furnace cement work. I ran a bead around the glass, and it doesn't look super terrible. It's also in an unfinished basement, so looks aren't a priority for this stove.

Other than very cold starts though, this setup drafts well enough once the draft is headed in the correct direction.

Reactions: pen
No, I haven't contacted them. Not sure about whay the warranty is on this stove, I bought it in October 2016. I'll have to check into It. I'm not sure how it would be fixed by them short of sending a new door. I was going to just drill a new hole or two and use self tapping screws to secure the part that holds the glass.

Or just let the furnace cement work. I ran a bead around the glass, and it doesn't look super terrible. It's also in an unfinished basement, so looks aren't a priority for this stove.

Other than very cold starts though, this setup drafts well enough once the draft is headed in the correct direction.

Grab the next size up tap and die and a screw to match. Not counting the time to go to the store it's about 5 minutes if that

Also when I had the 30 I had smoke come out of the holes on the bottom of the stove a few times.