What temp do you keep your house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Stove room also living room is between 76-80 during my the day. That puts the rest of the house between 70-74.

I load the little englander 13 before bed and let it go out. I can have coals if I plan it right but usually don't worry about it.

We wake up to mid 60's in the morning and I fire her up for a quick heat up session....then I start my wood stove....to get back close to 80.

Target temp for the upper floor in my house is 80-85dF. Bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, hall, all of it. Thank God for the convection deck fans on our A30.

We are maintaining 70-75 (with ease) while some of the kids are home for Christmas, and my arthritis isn't acting up too bad and my wife isn't online shopping for real estate in the lower 48, but the day the kids fly out is the day the house is warming back up.

When it is just me, the wife and the cat at home we tend to be walking around nekkid with the lights on and the curtains open. (kidding about the curtains being open)

Warmer the better. Central heating never above 68 in the morning if i failed to maintain with the insert.
But for the most part insert room is 70-72, furthest bedroom upstairs 67-68. All depends how cold outside also.

if it gets below ~75F then the high commander is quick to inform me that it is cold in the house.

Reactions: toddnic
Before the wood stove the entire house was between 62 and 68 degrees depending upon the time of day. After wood stove installation, bedrooms in the 60s and the primary living areas in the low 70s.

Parents were depression kids to young adults. when I was a kid in the '50-60's they kept the house at 68-70* daytime and 55* at night. the nights were a tad on the cold side as mom would always open a window an inch or so. you'd move around pretty quick once you left the wool blankets.
today, i've got 6 zones and usually only move two of them up/down. bedrooms 58-60*, living room and kit. 60*(stove area), family room goes 60-70* when needed, mom-in-law (1800sq ft) 65-70* all the time. I've mentioned this before but before stove oil was 13-1400/gal/yr, today goes7-800/yr. hay, Merry Christmas to all

Temperature does not appear to be the sole factor in winter comfort. Thank's to the housing crash in '08, we were able to purchase a modest property in Colorado. Here in Missouri I try to keep the temperature between 68 and 70 deg.- anything over 70 deg. is too warm for us. However, in the dry thin air of Colorado (we are at 8600 ft.) we never set the thermostat higher than 65, turn it down to 60 overnight, and often forget to raise it back up.

I don't keep it at any particular value. This year so far has been on the cool side, mostly averaging 50's and 60's. I prefer it warmer, I am just frugal and sometimes lazy. I held off the wood stove, wanting to do a vinegar boil of the combustor, and was just using pellet stove until a week ago. Well with the pellet stove the house was in the 50's a lot.

This was the coldest it got, a couple weeks ago...

What temp do you keep your house?

The house hadn't seen 70 since summer.

The one room the pellet stove was in was upper 60's at least, that's with the stove about maxed out.
Last week I finally fired up both stoves, now around 70º +/- 5º

Last edited:
49F would be a wine cooler.

Target of 70-72 in the living room. Anything over 74 and its too much. Some of the high temps I read in this thread would have me melted into a puddle.

Reactions: Ashful
I run my living room around 80f right now if not a little higher as I try to figure out proper firebox loading and damper settings. I dont like tp wait for heat so it usually end up overloading for the conditions. Most of the house is high 70s, bedrooms mid 60s because i keep the doors closed.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

49F would get me divorced _g
I have to admit It is a huge relief not to have anyone else complaining about the temperature, one of at least a few advantages single life has.
49F would be a wine cooler.
I have quite a bit of wine so yes good for that! Although not good for fermenting, I've had to wait a couple months (until I got both stoves running) to start a couple batches I have ready to go... hopefully this coming week :)

49º was admittedly only for a day, but I probably spent a good 3 weeks or so in 50's.

We have a batch of white wine bubbling in the kitchen right now.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
70-73 generally...a low of 68 and a high of 76 may occur (rarely)

We've averaged around 78 thru the house this winter. When it drops in the teens and below, 72 to 74 is where we keep the house. The LP furnace is set at 68 as a backup, but it never runs.

Temperature does not appear to be the sole factor in winter comfort. Thank's to the housing crash in '08, we were able to purchase a modest property in Colorado. Here in Missouri I try to keep the temperature between 68 and 70 deg.- anything over 70 deg. is too warm for us. However, in the dry thin air of Colorado (we are at 8600 ft.) we never set the thermostat higher than 65, turn it down to 60 overnight, and often forget to raise it back up.

Not just climate, but construction. Our house is essentially three smaller houses of very different construction, slammed together into one very long timeline of a house. While the more modern parts feel quite nice at 70F, the ancient uninsulated stone part can still feel quite cold at any temp below 73F.

The stove room is usually about 77, which makes the far part of the house 72. Upstairs is 68. That seems to work well for us.

The Queen likes it warm... bedrooms in the high 60's... usually 68. Rest of the house 75..

76 or warmer, my wife like a very warm house. I'm good at about 75. Right now basement is around 80, and 1st floor is about 77. Bedrooms are 70 to 74. I can sleep comfortable in my house in shorts a t shirt, with no blankets and it was single digits last night. My favorite is when the summer heat hits the air conditioner is around 72 to 74, way to cold for me. But once winter comes around we start creeping close to 80. I don't get it.

... My favorite is when the summer heat hits the air conditioner is around 72 to 74, way to cold for me. But once winter comes around we start creeping close to 80. I don't get it.
I'm the same way, we keep the house at 65f or cooler in the summer, and 75 or higher in the winter. Might have something to do with working outside I'd guess

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk