What should be the typical length for a "break-in" fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2010
Central NJ
We just got our Jotul C550 installed late yesterday. It is beautiful, seems to make the room feel much larger since the old insert stuck out a good 12-15". I plan on doing the first and second break-in fires today, also running out to buy an IR thermometer shortly.

What length should these fires go for? Example, for the first fire of 200-250 degrees, I planned on keeping the air control wide open and burning some fatwood/kindling until it hit that temp, then closing the air intake down and letting it burn off. Is this too short of a fire, maybe maintain the 200-250 temp for an hour or so?

My wife and I have a 4 month old, so I have to wait for her to take her out, don't want her breathing in any burn in smoke. I will post some pictures later.

I burnt 2 low fires for about an hour each with an 8 hour cool down time after each then brought it up to a high fire for the rest of the night. By doing this I had very little off gassing and my paint seems to have cured very well. Granted I don't have your model stove, but I'm sure paint curing is fairly similar.

I don't think the time is important---just that you have several cycles of reaching the full temp and full cool-down. I think 3 or 4 cycles would do it. so 3 or 4 days of small single fires and complete cooling would do it.

So far so good. About 30 mins in, temp around 220. A little smell coming off of it, not too bad. Should have done this years ago.

[Hearth.com] What should be the typical length for a "break-in" fire?

Pdog, that is beautiful.

For the future, please remember that when you leave the draft full open, the heat goes right up the chimney. You could have reached the right stove top temperature much sooner and held it longer if you had closed the draft part way. Full open draft doesn't heat the stove well but does the flue. Partially closed (or open) draft will keep the heat where it is needed.

Very Nice setup PDog. May you enjoy its warmth in good health with loved ones. Hey, is that a real tree? Please keep that thing watered, the heat from the stove dries them out. I check the water level on my tree daily, sometimes twice a day.

Watch the tree being so near.

Thanks guys.

I snapped that shot right in the beginning of the burn, knocked it down to about 1/2 way shortly afterward. It was amazing how much control there is with this compared to my old insert. You could see within 10 secs the difference in the flame when you slid the air control lever. Lots to learn, but the first burn went great. Will do the next 2 this week so we will be set for the weekend.

Tree is fake. I assemble the tree, garland and lights, wife does all the ornaments. Wife and I are still amazed how different this insert makes the room look, especially with the huge window. Our old unit you could barely make out what was inside :)

Very nice install.

Pdog, Your insert looks like it belongs right where you installed it. The tree (great decorating job), insert, brick surround, "Tiffany" lamp, stained glass art, floor and chair all make for a very comfortable and relaxing room. Kudos to you and your wife. Ya' done good! ;-) John_M

Thanks all. I was ready to leave to go to work today and just had to stare at it for like 20 seconds, wishing I could just stay home today and fire her up.

Sounds like you are doing fine. I think temperature rather than time is the important variable. Worked well. First 3 fires had some paint smell. Kept the window open for the first couple of fires. After that, things were fine. Hope you enjoy this stove as much as I do.

Pdog said:
Thanks all. I was ready to leave to go to work today and just had to stare at it for like 20 seconds, wishing I could just stay home today and fire her up.

Yer in trouble now. Very handsome looking setup Pdog. Enjoy the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.