What kind of heater is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 3, 2017
Georgia
We are considering purchasing this home and the owner said the heater can stay or go....just curious to what it is... sorry for the bad pic. That's all I got.

Attachments

• What kind of heater is this?
    Screenshot_20180208-155355.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 383
It looks like a Quadra-fire. Not sure of the model. Absolutely keep it!

Remember, if they take it they will have to deal with all kinds things, (dismantle, weight etc) it's not like dollying a fridge out the door. So keep that in mind when you negotiate to keep it.

I am biased towards soapstone and now more recently catalytic so I'm the wrong person to ask. Personally in that set up I'd come out the back of the stove, if possible, then do a 90 then go straight up aesthetically and easier to clean with a T at the 90. Some stoves allow either a back exit or a top exit.

It's attached to the house, it should come with it or they need to replace with something else.

Is that a loading door on the top?

That stove is part of the house. It's a ridiculous idea that you should pay extra for it. I would call their bluff and let them try and go through the effort of removing the stove and patching the hole in the roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's attached to the house, it should come with it or they need to replace with something else.
Yeah, it's included unless they specify otherwise. Find out the make and model, and the manufacture date may be on the metal tag on the back of the stove. If it's a good stove, it's pretty new, and you want to keep it, offer him 1/3 of what it would cost for a new one. If he balks tell him you'd rather have a new one anyway, and you'll pass. He'll probably come around to your way of thinkin'. ==c

A stove is not part of the house it is an appliance. I took mine with me when i sold our house.

We really either need better pics or a make asnd model to let you know if it is any good

It' brand new and never been used is the reason he wants to take it or work out a price for it. But on a serious note he is welcome to take it, and also welcome to patch the hole in the roof. I will try to get some better pictures of it when I can. I was just hoping someone would know from looking at the one pic I have. Thanks for the replies.

Here are a couple more pictures. Sorry for another bad one of the heater but maybe it'll help. I need to get my butt over there and take some of my own. I pulled these from the real estate site.

Attachments

Screenshot_20180208-193355.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 240
    Screenshot_20180208-193410.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 245
It doesnt look like the hearth is big enough. Otherwise it looks ok. But all clearances should be checked

It looks like a Quadra-fire. Not sure of the model. Absolutely keep it!
I'm pretty sure it's a Quadrafire Yosemite. This model is discontinued which should provide a bit more negotiating room. Maybe offer $800 if it's in great shape?

Reactions: iceman2424
I am biased towards soapstone and now more recently catalytic so I'm the wrong person to ask. Personally in that set up I'd come out the back of the stove, if possible, then do a 90 then go straight up aesthetically and easier to clean with a T at the 90. Some stoves allow either a back exit or a top exit.
That’s a pretty crazy suggestion... top exit makes for a superior setup. Avoiding a 90 or a Tee is always better if possible.

Reactions: blacktail and fespo
That stove is part of the house. It's a ridiculous idea that you should pay extra for it. I would call their bluff and let them try and go through the effort of removing the stove and patching the hole in the roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is true, unless it was specifically excluded in the sale. I’ve bought and sold several homes with stoves. Each time the stove was specifically mentioned in any sale description, anything that isn’t goes with the house. Gotta speak up if you don’t want something included!

Reactions: fespo
Yep- its a Yosemite. Nice mid-size side loading stove. Good for about 1500sqft here, 6-8 hour burn. I remember their handles being a bit of a pain, but was a nice looking stove..

The hearth does not look compliant as someone said earlier.

The hearth does not look compliant as someone said earlier.
I'm wondering if the stove could be moved back closer to the wall so that it meets the front 16" requirement. The Yosemite needs 7" with double-wall stove pipe. That looks like a Yoder hearth pad which is not cheap. It would be great to still be able to use it, but that's hard to say. This is also a side-loader so in order to use the side door there needs to be 16" hearth protection on the right side too.

If the hearth pad is undersized no matter what, then sell it. The Yosemite only requires ember protection so that is relatively easy to satisfy.