What is this wood & would you take it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You hear "stay away from pine" from people who "season" it for 2 months. It's ok wood after 2 years.
Get the stump for Fatwood:)

They would make great Swedish torches. Drill a hole down the middle but not all the way through. Three vertical cuts down the middle through the drilled hole but not all the way through. Store to dry and drop a small piece of lit fat pine down the hole - enjoy. Andrew

Reactions: BillLion
The wood would have to have daggers and or rotting mold on it for me to turn down. Just saying.

So I grabbed a couple rounds today and spent a few minutes splitting; 1st with my maul and then my Fiskars.

As I did I looked and saw piles of sugar maple, red maple, white oak and birch waiting to be split. After a short while it occurred to me I was working way too hard for pine! (The round pictured is the smaller of the 2 I grabbed. I'll finish later, but i thought soft wood would be easier to split!

Well if I had those hardwoods there I would take those and leave the pine! In addition more BTUs, the hardwoods are usually easier to split. Straight, knot-free red oak splits like a dream!

The stump is still in the ground and unfortunately I don't have the equipment to dig it out. Love fatwood though!

On that note, White pine stumps are actually very easy to dig out as far as digging out stumps goes. There is no tap root, it just sends out lateral roots near the surface. You just need to expose the roots and hit them with a grub axe or a Collins axe digging bar. With a little perseverance you can get them out of the ground

Yeah pine can be a bear to split with an axe, now that I have a hydraulic splitter I don't mind but I wouldn't be so quick to get any if I had to split by hand. I'd rather split red oak all day than pine.

Well if I had those hardwoods there I would take those and leave the pine! In addition more BTUs, the hardwoods are usually easier to split. Straight, knot-free red oak splits like a dream!

Yeah, that's in my yard. My time is probably better served processing that wood, but I wanted to to get a couple rounds for kindling and to satisfy my curiosity.

On that note, White pine stumps are actually very easy to dig out as far as digging out stumps goes. There is no tap root, it just sends out lateral roots near the surface. You just need to expose the roots and hit them with a grub axe or a Collins axe digging bar. With a little perseverance you can get them out of the ground

Good to know; I wouldn't have guessed. The homeowner would probably be ecstatic if I did that!

Yeah pine can be a bear to split with an axe, now that I have a hydraulic splitter I don't mind but I wouldn't be so quick to get any if I had to split by hand. I'd rather split red oak all day than pine.

I guess I wrongly assumed soft wood meant easier! ;em I haven't split red oak, but I've split lots of pin & white oak. And absolutely I'd rather hand split either than this pine! A splitter might change things. :)

The stump is still in the ground and unfortunately I don't have the equipment to dig it out. Love fatwood though!
Yeah, luckily they come in a box too.

So I grabbed a couple rounds today and spent a few minutes splitting; 1st with my maul and then my Fiskars.

As I did I looked and saw piles of sugar maple, red maple, white oak and birch waiting to be split. After a short while it occurred to me I was working way too hard for pine! (The round pictured is the smaller of the 2 I grabbed. I'll finish later, but i thought soft wood would be easier to split!

I see you have him tied up so he won't run away and escape ;lol

Looks like great campfire wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.