What is this critter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

'bert

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I found 2 of these in some wood I was splitting up yesterday. Pic's kind of crappy, only had my cell phone with me, (should have built in a camera holder on my splitter I guess)

Attachments

• What is this critter?
    09-23-09_1837.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 471
  • What is this critter?
    09-23-09_1843.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 453
What type of wood? Was there any "punkyness" to the wood? I posted last month about a wasp that lays it's larva in wood. They are harmless and very beneficial since the larva feed upon other larva in the tree. The larva was more of a cream color though. This looks yellow, but that might be the light.
http://www.cirrusimage.com/hymenoptera_ichneumon_megarhyssa_fem.htm

A little looking around the interweb reveals that this is most likely an Aspen Borer. Seeing as this was in an Aspen tree, that makes sense.

Thanks for taking the pic and asking this, I had one the other day too, but just squished it.
Now I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.