What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just dropped in a medium sized Oak

Reactions: thewoodlands
We were just above 23 degrees this morning with another load of cherry providing the heat.

We’ve been having highs in the 60s and lows in the 30s, just been doin fires in the morning again. Rain and snow supposedly next few days...we’ll see

OK, lemme guess.."Time To Initiate Warp Wood Protocol" ==c
Stove 1: Fresh mixed load of oak, ash, and sassafras, set for an 8 hour burn. It was 19F this morning.
I've got a ton of dead Sassafras all over the place but I figured that the way I hear it popping in the stove, it might stir up more ash dust and make me clean the screen and cat more often, so I don't burn it. I never experimented to see if that was actually true, though. I've been using straight Sass logs as pallet supports since they are so rot-resistant.
20191014_075350.jpg
I just threw in a Cheery and two Red Oak splits. Going to 50 today, don't need much heat. :)

Reactions: thewoodlands
I hear it popping in the stove, it might stir up more ash dust and make me clean the screen and cat more often, so I don't burn it.
I thought you burned anything you want any time you want with no worries.

Last edited:
We were around 25 this morning with another load of cherry going in the Lopi Liberty.

With temps 32 or above it's white pine. Went 10 hours overnight with it last night. It was 36 most of the night, and we woke up to 69 in the house. Love the white pine! One man's trash is another man's treasure! :)

We're around 23 degrees tonight with another load of cherry in the Liberty for the overnight fire.

We had 26 degrees this morning, another load of cherry went into the Liberty.

Reactions: MMH
8EF93753-54E9-4CA2-A163-882675F6341C.jpeg
Here’s my outlook for next week, looks like pretty typical winter temps for me; it’s starting today the winds are picking up and the rain/snow is supposed to be starting; had a morning fire today as usual but when I got home I stuffed some more in for the storm brewing with temps in the low 40s and the “feels like” in the low 30s. All pine still, trying to save the mahogany for December/January but might end up breaking into it next week

We have been burning pine scraps, but really only at night and the wifey lets it go out in the morning. The house has been staying warm and comfy all day. As the kiddos go to bed, we repeatthe process.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Very punky Thornless Locust. This locust has very low density not like its much admired cousins. Got to 49 today so not much heat needed.

All Red Elm in the on-deck circle. BTU between Cherry and White Ash.
20191120_181402.jpg

Last edited:
It's 26.1 tonight with the Liberty seeing another load of cherry for an overnight load.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Loaded up with ash thanks to the EAB...

It was 26 this morning, more cherry in the Liberty.

We have a temp of 35.1 tonight with another load of cherry going in the Liberty tonight.

We had 42 this morning with rain and another load of cherry in the Liberty.

wild Grape Vine. Around here wild Grape can get around 6".
Love to cut the big ones in the spring water will run out of them
like a garden hose for an hour or more

We don't have nearly anything big enough to even consider here. I remember I was turing Georgia though, and stopped at a place for lunch. Took nearly an hour to realize the tree we were sitting under was an evergreen. Nice big tree, 2ft dia, 80ft tall. I noticed additional trunks growing up the sides, vines large enough to engulf the entire thing, completly. A deciduous tree with an evergreen core.

Reactions: Woody Stover