What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Interesting combo, I've never burned lilac. Starting with the uglies here and threw in pieces of beech, birch and silver maple this morning.

It burned like ash really.

I have a lot of runaway lilacs on my property. Cleared some last November because they were taller than my chimney and close to my house. It was no different then a tree. Took out two liters about 6” wide and more than 17’ tall. I have more and would burn again.

Reactions: EODMSgt
2D69F0A1-C993-472A-8F00-46A2CA0A5E9D.jpeg

Low in the teens forecasted for tonight, and after last night I believe it! I usually only have pine but managed a small jackpot! Tonight will be red oak cherry and juniper. Never had hardwood before so excited to see how this turns out.

View attachment 248969
Low in the teens forecasted for tonight, and after last night I believe it! I usually only have pine but managed a small jackpot! Tonight will be red oak cherry and juniper. Never had hardwood before so excited to see how this turns out.

Cherry is a fun wood to burn. Pops a lot. I have about 2 cords seasoned for this winter. It is my “in between” wood. I use it before the oak and hickory but after my shoulder wood.

Bushels20 where i Ohio are you located? I'm located in the northeast part about 40 min east of Cleveland. We are supposed to have temps in the mid to upper 70's tomorrow but cold and rain for this weekend. So I might be lighting the first fires for the year.

Cherry is a fun wood to burn. Pops a lot. I have about 2 cords seasoned for this winter. It is my “in between” wood. I use it before the oak and hickory but after my shoulder wood.

I gotta say I’ve always envied you all with abundant hardwoods, tonight I’ll get a real chance to see if the juice is worth the squeeze

It is!

Bushels20 where i Ohio are you located? I'm located in the northeast part about 40 min east of Cleveland. We are supposed to have temps in the mid to upper 70's tomorrow but cold and rain for this weekend. So I might be lighting the first fires for the year.

Central OH, 30 minutes east of Columbus.

We are supposed to get rain and lows in 30s Saturday. I may get excited and pull the trigger on that first fire. We’ll see....

Reactions: heavy hammer
I gotta say I’ve always envied you all with abundant hardwoods, tonight I’ll get a real chance to see if the juice is worth the squeeze

It’s the exact opposite here for us. Pine is very hard to come by. I gladly burn it, it’s just that no one saves it because it’s “trash”.

It’s the exact opposite here for us. Pine is very hard to come by. I gladly burn it, it’s just that no one saves it because it’s “trash”.

It’s ironic the differences between parts of the country isn’t it. As the old adage goes one mans trash is another mans treasure!

Burning some leftover pine and birch today.

It is. I’ve burned it, and it does make heat, but it just disappears way to fast. I used to keep pine and cedar to start fires, but now that I have dry oak and Supercedars, I just toss all pine and cedar in the outdoor fire pit.

3D9A523D-F1E6-4DB4-B758-ECBACA8B39A3.jpeg

Well this was my first experience with hardwoods, and I gotta say....as usual.....you were all right....the juice is worth the squeeze!! I don’t have any local access to oaks or cherry or any of it really, but what I do have is mahogany; it appears I just need to go find it and get it! For all intensive purposes data will be included for thoroughness.

*Started fire last night at 20:30 3 pieces oak 3 pieces cherry 3 pieces juniper and a couple small pine splits, house temp 68, low for the night was 18 F air setting cut to 3-3:15 (no numerical settings just a swoosh)
*Up this morning at 05:45-06:00 inside temp 70 outside was 20 F
*pic of coal bed at 07:16 air was fully turned up and left on high
*09:00 time of this post, still coals to burn, cat still quite active, stove top 400-415, inside 72 F outside 30 F

Running a BK Ashford 30.2, well insulated 1960 sq ft open plan. I’m loving it and I’m sold!
Also, I apologize if this thread wasn’t the right spot for this post but I was just to giddy not to share!

Had some walnut from spring that was cut down that spent then entire summer split and stacked under the barn. It's nice and dry, but the heat output of walnut is pretty low, so it works out perfectly when the boiler needs to spend 95% of it's time idle during the day.

Had some walnut from spring that was cut down that spent then entire summer split and stacked under the barn. It's nice and dry, but the heat output of walnut is pretty low, so it works out perfectly when the boiler needs to spend 95% of it's time idle during the day.

Surprisingly Walnut doesn't make that great of firewood.

It is. I’ve burned it, and it does make heat, but it just disappears way to fast. I used to keep pine and cedar to start fires, but now that I have dry oak and Supercedars, I just toss all pine and cedar in the outdoor fire pit.

I’ve been eyeing those Supercedars for a couple seasons now. They work pretty well? How many do you order at a time?

I also put a few pieces of ash in the garage tonight just for the cooler temps coming. The stuff is been seasoned for a few years so I'm curious to see how it burns.

I’ve been eyeing those Supercedars for a couple seasons now. They work pretty well? How many do you order at a time?
A few times per year they will run a special, and often post about it here. I usually try to order then, whatever quantity their special covers, probably 100 cakes most of the time. Most here will be frugal and break each cake into 4 quarters, for 4 starts, which should work fine if yo have smaller splits or burn lighter woods. With full oak splits, I usually find a half cake is more reliable.

High 30s this morning with 15-20 winds out of the southwest. Wife said I’m cold, that’s all it took. Load of catalpa is going now.

I may keep it going for the day, 30s again tonight.

A few times per year they will run a special, and often post about it here. I usually try to order then, whatever quantity their special covers, probably 100 cakes most of the time. Most here will be frugal and break each cake into 4 quarters, for 4 starts, which should work fine if yo have smaller splits or burn lighter woods. With full oak splits, I usually find a half cake is more reliable.

I will keep an eye out for that sale. They aren’t cheap but if they work as well as the reviews allegedly say, likely worth the money. Seemingly eliminates the need for kindling, (assuming good firewood) of course.

Bushels we are having upper 40's low 50's today but they are talking about a frost advisory tonight. When the sun is out it warms the house nicely, but I could see the girls wanting a fire sometime this weekend.

Bushels we are having upper 40's low 50's today but they are talking about a frost advisory tonight. When the sun is out it warms the house nicely, but I could see the girls wanting a fire sometime this weekend.

We have a thick wood cover here with little to no direct sun light. If we get cold in the house, it stays that way. We are well insulated which works both ways I suppose. New windows, insulated attics and new doors. Doesn’t let that cold out once it’s in ;)

I too have girls. Wife and two daughters. I am an outnumbered man. I don’t mind it though.

For this year, I have almond and a bit of pine. Woke up to cold house and fired some small pieces of almond and small split pine. Learning the “top down” method and it works well so far.
I‘m thinking of submitting the name of the firewood guy that supplies me with wood for sainthood! Dry and a joy to burn.
I am humbly grateful for the stove, wood and a way to keep my family warm.

I'm in the same boat Bushels20, My two daughters want a fire if the house even seems chilly anymore. I don't get it in the summer the house has to be freezing, and in the winter it's never warm enough.

Reactions: Bushels20
We haven't had many fires lately so when I came in today, I started a fire with pine.