What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm not sure what the outside temp was this morning but the house temps were 69 & 70. Yesterday afternoon was the last fire I had when I came in soaked from the rain.

We'll have some fires later today with the forecast temps around 37 with snow for tomorrow.

Reactions: NickW
Truck broke (again) on the drive home Tuesday, but I was able to limp home. At least it waited until I was only 3 miles away and not pulling anything....
Sorry to hear about the truck! I've been in a similar situation with my 20+ year old truck. Good at least you were able to get it home. I hope the repair won't be too major. My truck isn't my daily driver, it's mostly used for hauling firewood. I've certainly put some money into it. but at least taxes are low.

We had 36.4 this morning with more rain. The basement temp started out at 70, the living area temps were both 69 with the sleeper at 69.

The overnight fire was two splits of ash with the rest of it pine. This morning was all shoulder season wood in the first fire.

It's suppose to be a cool damp week coming up so we'll put more shoulder season wood in.

It's 50º this morning. Had a small fire last night, the first time in a few days. Another small one this morning. So much rain again yesterday, fortunately I have some wood stored inside the garage and house.

Reactions: thewoodlands
It's 50º this morning. Had a small fire last night, the first time in a few days. Another small one this morning. So much rain again yesterday, fortunately I have some wood stored inside the garage and house.
Last April in my neck of the woods, April was very dry but this year it has been a wet one. Last May was very wet so we'll see what happens this year in May.

Reactions: ctreitzell
A bit raw outside today. Wet and windy all day. Woke up to the house at 64 so put in a small load of uglies. Now it’s 5:30 pm and house has cooled back down to 68 so just started another mixed load of uglies to take the chill out for the evening.

Last April in my neck of the woods, April was very dry but this year it has been a wet one. Last May was very wet so we'll see what happens this year in May.
It was very wet (some snow) in March around here, and so far quite wet this month. The frustrating thing is a weekend totally without precipitation is a rarity this year.
A bit raw outside today. Wet and windy all day. Woke up to the house at 64 so put in a small load of uglies. Now it’s 5:30 pm and house has cooled back down to 68 so just started another mixed load of uglies to take the chill out for the evening.
I've got a bunch of uglies stacked with chicken wire in front to keep them from falling over. They would have been ideal for a day like today around 50º, now in the low 40s but they were damp from the heavy rain yesterday. It's good to have the stove going again, I'm not quite ready to retire it for the season.

today the forecast is for low 60's and low 60's all week except for friday it will be in the mid 50's so if we have any fires it will probably be for one or two days if it cools off, but retired the stove for the year. now within the next week i'll put in a csl log and brush the chimney just before the first fire in September or October. so that's it for this year.

currently cold ashes
we are having July temps in France at the moment
and today the forecast is massive temp swing
today's high is 24C/75F with a low of 5C/41F

so likely not done burning as mid-week will be around 2-3C

currently cold ashes
we are having July temps in France at the moment
and today the forecast is massive temp swing
today's high is 24C/75F with a low of 5C/41F

so likely not done burning as mid-week will be around 2-3C
That is a huge temperature swing in one day. My computer outside temperature says 52º. The forecast is provided on msn.com. I reference the National Weather Forecast almost daily, that says 53º, my furnace has an outside reading of 54º which is detected by a thermistor. I wonder how local temperatures are obtained for various areas? Same for the TV weather - occasionally the forecaster will mention a name of someone in a town providing temperature or precipitation amounts, but there must be electronic measurements.

Reactions: ctreitzell
This morning the outside temp was 32.2, the basement temp started off at 72, the living area temps were 68 & 69 with the sleeper at 69.

I did have a fire last night with some hardwood & pine, this morning the fire was all pine.

The outside temp is 42.8 tonight, both living area temps are 71, the basement temp started at 70 tonight with the sleeper at 69.

I had a small pine fire after supper, the overnight fire is a bigger load of pine.

not cold enough for a fire yet so far
low temps for the week in the mid to high 30s...certainly will equal some wood stove action

Yesterday did part of the annual ritual of cleaning the yard of sticks and branches. Some appeared to be dead/gray wood. Brought some inside in a large tote, burned a good part of that last night in the stove, Temps. in the 40s, so it was needed. Enough left over for kindling tonight.

We 33.6 this morning, I didn't have an overnight fire so the house cooled off, 65 - 67 in the rooms I track. While having the first cup of coffee, we ran the propane fireplace. Once I had my second cup, the fireplace was shut off and we switched to having a fire in the wood stove.

currently 37F according to Yahoo with RealFeel at 30F

ash+elm+chestnut went in at 0300
trying to get to sleep, but my elderly cat had an altercation with our new stray
he's a big cat at 5Kg which is just over 11lbs

we don't think he jumped her, she most likely injured herself just getting upset with his presence
but nobody saw what actually happened

so my missus suggested a fire might cheer her up
which it certainly did

*EDIT
kept it going overnight with oak and chestnut
currently keeping it ticking over with chestnut+small hazel+small elm

We had 31.1 this morning, I did have a shoulder season wood fire last night (shut the fan off when the basement temp hit 75) so the temps in the house this morning were 66 & 67.

We had another shoulder season fire this morning.

i said i quit for the season but had a small fire tonight cuz the house was 64 and headed down so i put in some type of birch had pinkish colored bark that fell off and now the house is overheated. oh well. this birch burnt up quick

Last night we ran the pellet stove for a few hours and then had an overnight fire with one split of ash with the rest pine. The house temps this morning were 69 & 70, the outside temp this morning was 44.2.

Shoulder season fire yesterday morning and a little more serious of a shoulder season fire last night. Nothing this morning. Heading to the Northwoods later. I'm sure we'll do some fires in the Stratford II.

Loaded up with cherry in the Northwoods. 36 degrees outside.
1713586103338588286310706418577.jpg

Reactions: fbelec
with these temps it make want to get some pine for quick fires

30 degrees and flurries. Wife had a fire going and the temperature up already when I got up. Looked out back and the big dead aspen I've been expecting to come down finally did.