What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Teens and still windy overnight here in NJ coast. Had locust running all night and still loading it this morning with maple spacers to get better airflow for more heat.

These last 2 days have been brutal personally for us as we put down our dog ENA on Friday. The wood in the wood room is all burned up as well as all the preheated staged wood around the woodstove. i see about 3 splits left. Gonna have to do a good reload in a couple hours.

Reloaded after 12 hrs. Room temperature is 68, outside 18.

Maple shorties,and white oak and locust uglies for now.

Temps dropped to 12F last night, I think the lowest windchill I saw was 2F. Fell asleep in the recliner after the football game, woke up around 1am, threw in a load of locust and went to bed, woke up shortly after 5am, threw in a load of oak and fell asleep in the recliner again. House stayed at about 58F all night, only dropped to 55F this morning because I let the fire die out to be able to shovel out the ash (and go meet the family for breakfast and getting a hot shower at the hotel).
Load of cherry to get the fire going this morning, then will be mostly oak and locust today. Thinking between that and it being sunny out the house should get back into the 60's.

Did my 2nd morning load an hour ago. House feels about 70, unless you stand near one of the drafty areas. Couple degrees cooler there but, not bad.

Loaded a bunch of Norway splits and one good sized ash split. Furnace is still cycling. It will be time to load more soon.

Sun is shining and wind is howling. Still low teens with a feels like temperature of 1 degree. The solar gain is finally bringing the house up to the 70s again (woke up to the house at 59, knew I should have set an alarm for 3am for a reload). One more night of the deep cold snap to go before it warms back up. Expecting rain and 40s by the end of the week.

Today I did get the second load locked in at 11:10 a.m., three beech & four ash splits are going in the Liberty. It's 7.7 out today with the living area 69 & 70.

Tomorrow will start our warmup so I better get more ash firewood in. I thought about bringing in more pine but we'll save that for March.

Got 4.5 hours on my cold start and STT was still 375. Just did a hot reload of 3x large splits of oak and maple. Almost 500 STT with good secondaries and climbing. House still at 71 from first load. 19 outside

Last edited:
Well got everything reloaded inside the house. That air gapped locust load kicked butt (STT got to over600F) and the stove room is up to 75f+ and the rest of house 68-70F. The full sun reflecting off the snow made it nice out, even with the gusty winds. Was Nice to be outside in the fresh clean air.

Fed the coals 5-6 splits about every 2-3hrs. Mostly maple with 1 or 2 ash. The winds picked up late morning, keeping the drafts drifting through. The furnace made them almost unnoticeable.

Sorry about your Packers Nick!
Too many mistakes. Looking promising for the future... Had the best team in the NFC on the ropes and just couldn't knock them out. I don't think there's anyone in Baltimore's class anyway.

Reactions: Wildflush
High 20's outside. Oak coals burning down in the stove. Freezing rain coming tonight and tomorrow. Prepare for power outages... YAY! For some reason this winter has me wore down. Came down with the bat flu on New Years day still have fatigue and can't taste or smell anything only thing I can taste is the constant taste of sewer in my mouth. Spring can't get here soon enough.

Too many mistakes. Looking promising for the future... Had the best team in the NFC on the ropes and just couldn't knock them out. I don't think there's anyone in Baltimore's class anyway.
I watched the Lions- Tampa game and was pumped Detroit won.

High 20's outside. Oak coals burning down in the stove. Freezing rain coming tonight and tomorrow. Prepare for power outages... YAY! For some reason this winter has me wore down. Came down with the bat flu on New Years day still have fatigue and can't taste or smell anything only thing I can taste is the constant taste of sewer in my mouth. Spring can't get here soon enough.
Look on the bright side a little over a month to go! My wife and I got COVID for the first time in Nov. Not fun plus I missed my Maine hunting trip because of it!

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Look on the bright side a little over a month to go! My wife and I got COVID for the first time in Nov. Not fun plus I missed my Maine hunting trip because of it!
Weirdest thing the taste and smell. Its not like it gradually went away. I woke up and they were both gone and I mean gone. I can taste salt and I can tell if something is sour. Other than that nothing. So strange.

Weirdest thing the taste and smell. Its not like it gradually went away. I woke up and they were both gone and I mean gone. I can taste salt and I can tell if something is sour. Other than that nothing. So strange.
I did not lose taste of smell with COVID but had metal mouth from Paxlovid antiviral. Drug kept the virus from progressing which was good,

Visited SC over the holidays and everyone had covid down there so guesse what, lovely deep dry cough borderline pneumonia ever since, come back to 3wks of below zero, two humidifiers going and the wood stove non stop. Relief in sight. I really like the stove, glorious heat. Wife says we will never be without one. Oak, cherry, elm, dry.
What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

I think our high was 12.2 today, the last fire I started was around 4:30 this afternoon, four beech & four ash splits. I shut the fan off on the wood stove, cleaned the pellet stove an we have that running for the night.

The basement temp was 79, the living area temps are 70 & 71 with the sleeper at 67.

Unfortunately the honey locust is not quite ready to burn. After bringing the splits up to temperature, the heartwood splits were well <13%, but the sapwood next to bark is ~25%. While frozen, there's a visible thin layer of ice between bark and sapwood. When I try to burn, there's a lot of sizzles coming from sapwood area. This is definitely not good for the stove: on a hot reload, it took me almost an hour to recover secondary burn, whereas the dry black locust would catch within about 5min.

All good - these splits were my "insurance" policy incase I run out later this spring. A week next to the stove or a month or two in spring / summer, they'd be bone dry. They'll be good to go 2024-2025 season.

So for now, I'm still burning black locust - 65F in living room, around 450F STT.

21 outside. Dropping to mid teens tonight. 75 on main floor. STT 450 and added a very large cherry ugly and a bio brick to the hot coals. STT 560 and cruising.

Struggled to get the overnight fire to catch, even after I switch backed to my original fuel source (BL). I left the stove door wide open for ~45min, but the stove stalled as soon as I closed the door.

This tends to happen when I get ash build up near the primary air intake... looks like a stove clean up is in order as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

Left about 1:30, home at 9:30. 16 degrees and breezy. House is getting chilly. Good coals; loaded with 1 ironwood, 1 honey locust, 2 ash and several each hickory & sugar maple. Stt is approaching 600. Hoping I can get the house temps up...