What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just fed the furnace. All splits..... 4 red oak, 1 shag hickory, 3 BL, 2 black ash, 1 sugar maple, and 1 norway maple.
All on top of a bed of coals of the heavy weights from above.
Furnace is working hard in this drafty old house.
That's a seriously good load out. Like, probably the highest BTU load that's native to continental America?

*edit* Yes norway maple... it's maple nonetheless....

Reactions: all night moe
Back on track, night time load in. See you all for coffee in the AM.

View attachment 322740
How long would it take you to get this monster load into cruising temperature?

I'm just thinking for myself for a similar situation, since the coals look a bit low. I'll probably have to keep the doors open for 15min, and cracked open for another 15~30min. After sealing the door closed and not stalling stove, another 15~30min with full primary before I can start closing down the throttle.

I’m glad that I did not oversize my stove and saved some money. Our Vista heats 1,900 sq ft. And can drive us out. Main floor 77 now and wife loves it. 29 outside now and dropping. 72 upstairs.

Anything below 10 or so degrees I have to run our stove full out especially with wind. 3 degrees right now and still hovering around 70-71. Our house is poorly insulated and about 1400 sqft.give or take and basically a shack. Thank goodness for seasoned hardwood.

Anything below 10 or so degrees I have to run our stove full out especially with wind. 3 degrees right now and still hovering around 70-71. Our house is poorly insulated and about 1400 sqft.give or take and basically a shack. Thank goodness for seasoned hardwood.
Totally get it. Our Cape is insulated well with some newer windows and kitchen slider over the last few years.

Years back hunting in northern Maine we had the wood stove cranking in our cabin since it was not insulated. We were glad it was a big stove.

My NG furnace is running for the zone in the finished basement since son is playing Xbox and no stove down there. I Should give him my NG bill when it comes!

Doing a 5 split reload of 3 red oak, 1x maple for ignition and a large cherry short cherry chunk on top at 10pm. Should last to 2am- 3am.and keep the heat from calling until the morning. Thermostat set to 64.

Haven't looked in on it but, I know the furnace is still cycling. I can see the curtain in the bathroom flutter from the heat register.
It's at a slower rate now though. Time to go back down for a looksie. I have some big dry clunkers to accompany some splits for the overnight coal fest. Been saving them. Looks like tonight is as good as any to burn one of them.

How long would it take you to get this monster load into cruising temperature?

I'm just thinking for myself for a similar situation, since the coals look a bit low. I'll probably have to keep the doors open for 15min, and cracked open for another 15~30min. After sealing the door closed and not stalling stove, another 15~30min with full primary before I can start closing down the throttle.
About 45min to get the load cruising enough to get the stat to close. considering the outside temps I had a set point for the knob already in mind based on previous experience.

I'm still burning down some beech coals so I'm hoping I can load up the wood stove at 10:30 for the overnight load.

It's 18 outside tonight, the basement temp is 77, the living area 69 & 70 with the sleeper at 68. The overnight load will be beech on the bottom, ash & ironwood filling out the last two rows.

Here is my one log for tonight.

What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Dang what is that like 24" long?

The outside temp dropped to 16.7, the beech, ash and the ironwood are locked in (air shutdown ) and running nice. I just saw that Saranac Lake New York is at 12 degrees, there are times when our low is closer to their low.

Man I got no reason to leave the house.

WFH while not on travel assignments. 6 hens giving me all the eggs I'll ever need. Online grocery delivery for all the perishables. House backs into the state forest and 10+ miles of hiking trails for walking the dog. A barbell with 270kg of weight right in garage.

My record back in winter 2021-2022 was not leaving the house for close to a month when work was slow.
talkin my language! I don't think I left the ranch in 2020 for an entire quarter!

• Love
Reactions: Bobbob and zmender
-2C/ 28F at 0700...warming up already :)

woke to what looked and felt like a cool stove and flue

opened the air intake cuz didn't look like much potential for smoke

slowly the embers came back to life and let them advance to flames

put on some super dry twigs and draw re-established
added some 1" branches of hazel, apple, holly and got a blazing bed of embers to add my normal 3 splits of beech+oak+ash...charring attained and shut the air down to under 5%...just the right amount of annoying whistle has been working great...back to bed once the cats return from the morning constitutional