What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I mixed in some pine. A little poplar as well. But maple and oak is what I have most.

Poplar is basically pine in quality sense. I've been burning it since October 1. Gets a bad wrap but a great shoulder season wood.

Reactions: Tom123
I agree. For this time of the year poplar is great to burn. I start my fire with poplar /pine and add oak/maple when it gets a bit colder late at night.

It drys fast and lights up easy. I misidentified it as a heartier wood when I cut it, so I have quite a bit of it lol. But it was free and it has its place. All good here!

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
On the menu today....we're burnin' some Elm and Maple

Did a load of pre-punkwood to take off the morning chill. The house will be wide open later.
Perfect season to get rid of the embarrasing stuff. LOL
That stuff is like balsa. Roaring in 4 minutes and gone in 45. (even shut down to one turn out)
Did the job perfect for shouldering tho. It has it's place.

Well I finally got the beast hooked back up. Chewing poplar, ash and cherry. Was worried about the poplar, but it's fantastic for startup fuel. I could almost lite it with a match, has its place.

Still chewing through hemlock, about a face cord left. Then on to birch.

Things I don't like about hemlock:

1. Hard to split
2. When handling dry splits, it can give you tiny splinters if not using gloves. Annoying and hard to remove from hands.

Things I like about hemlock:

1. Dries in 1 year.
2. And this one still has me thinking, it leaves no ash...I have put more than a face cord through the stove and still really did not have to empty the firebox. Amazing how that hemlock can just vanish.
3. After 7-8 hours I can still through a medium size split into the firebox and it will selflight in 2-3min.

All in all however, I am looking forward to burning some real hardwood. Lots of ash, sugar maple and BL for when the real cold comes.

It's been unusually warm here so far. I'm still burning the ugliest junk I can find in the shed. Most of it is still bigleaf maple that fell in my yard August 2015.
What Is In Your Stove Right Now? What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! In my stove at the moment is a bunch of cold ashes. We've been burning for a couple of weeks but it got so warm today that we let it go out this morning and never lit it back up again. Spent the evening upstairs in the office/TV room which has a kerosene heater that keeps us toasty!

Doug fir

Got white oak, mulberry and red oak roaring. Unfortunately it's only kindling from last year's processing, but funny that the stove is cranking without a real load. poplar and cherry will pull the night shift.

loaded up with elm that i found buried under some tall grasses and weeds, but had been propped up on a bush. its been there at least 3 years, probably more. It said 2% on the moisture meter..... i threw in a few uglies of elm and maple.

Maple load

This week's stack is a mix of white oak, red oak, chestnut oak, and swamp oak. I'm not picky. ;lol

Stove just reloaded, but I couldn't tell you which of these four oaks went into this load.

Reactions: Smock2015
This week's stack is a mix of white oak, red oak, chestnut oak, and swamp oak. I'm not picky. ;lol

Stove just reloaded, but I couldn't tell you which of these four oaks went into this load.

SIN SIN SIN!!! Using the "precious" in 45f weather.

This week's stack is a mix of white oak, red oak, chestnut oak, and swamp oak
Now that's a beautiful family picture.

Ran two loads of pine and olive today. Mid 30s outside - low 80s inside. Toasty!!
A load of pine, olive and elm will carry us through the low 20s overnight.

Its not that cold tonight, but it is my night off from work, so I have the open fire place up and running as well as the stove. My wife says "It is very toasty in here" as my dog begins to pant. lol There's your sign :)

SIN SIN SIN!!! Using the "precious" in 45f weather.
If I didn't burn oak, I'd not have anything to burn. It makes up more than 80% of everything I bring home, from the site where I cut. The land owner keeps the ash, maple, and hickory for himself, and poplar for his brother. We can't figure why his brother always wants the poplar, other than maybe low weight and easy splitting (they're both in their 70's), but we're not going to argue with him.

Reactions: Jay106n
The land owner keeps the ash, maple, and hickory for himself, and poplar for his brother
HA! Woodlot error in your favor! Do they pay you $200 as you go!!! Best deal I've ever heard of.

Reactions: Jay106n
Like Ashful said they are older, maybe the weight is too much to handle, or just simply don't want to be on the 3 year plan and just burn what they pick up that spring. It works out win-win for everybody.

Reactions: Ashful
True. I'm sure it's something like that. Good for him and them.

Like Ashful said they are older, maybe the weight is too much to handle, or just simply don't want to be on the 3 year plan and just burn what they pick up that spring. It works out win-win for everybody.

You got it. They keep the stuff that's easiest to process and season, which ain't oak. The only ash they let me take is the stuff over 30" diameter, as they split the more manageable ash rounds for use in their own stoves. I'm not complaining.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd