What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not angry, but don't bash the ash.

Way better than pine. Not even close.

No, it doesn't have the BTU'S or burn time of a "premium" hardwood like oak; but it is a good burner and readily available. Seasons quickly, starts easily, burns decently even if not well seasoned (20-25% - try that with oak), coals pretty well. I'll take it over birch any and every day and probably over cherry or elm, although I do like cherry and elm. I have to burn down the coals after 10 hours on a full load of ash in my NC30 (tube stove, not a cat) to make room for the next load. Yes, it leaves a lot of ash...and clinkers.

If I had access to more of the premiums I'd still burn a lot of ash. I save the little bit of oak, locust, beech, hard maple, hickory, etc for the really cold weather.
I was just surprised by the mess it left...

I know it seasons fast. This was 2 year. I'm burning 1 y/o pine right now, measured at 15% or so. The stove has been chewing on it for 12 hours, and I'll have quite a bit of hours left. So no bashing pine either :) (It's warm outside though today, so I dialed the stove way down.)

It's what you get, scrounging. This year I have about 1.25 facecord of ash, the same in pine. Half a face cord of sassafras is already gone. And 5.25 face cord of oak.
Next year it'll be cherry, ash, oak, and some maple. And pine if needed. The year after only oak and some locust (and pine if needed). So I'll see how cherry does then.

I know, @MMH burns lots of pine and likes it too.

I've gotten an attitude towards pine this year. 16-18% in the new Strattford II in the northwoods cabin build and it keeps smoking the crap out of the glass. I've had no problems with any other woods, but man do I have to keep the air open a long time with the pine to keep the glass fairly clean. Certainly isn't the easy breather the NC30 is and gets some "dead zones" where the air just doesn't seem to move (front corners, particularly the left). Heats well even with aspen or box elder (or pine...).

I'm going to css to 12" all future wood for it for n/s loading. Maybe that will help the pine too.

I know, @MMH burns lots of pine and likes it too.

I've gotten an attitude towards pine this year. 16-18% in the new Strattford II in the northwoods cabin build and it keeps smoking the crap out of the glass. I've had no problems with any other woods, but man do I have to keep the air open a long time with the pine to keep the glass fairly clean. Certainly isn't the easy breather the NC30 is and gets some "dead zones" where the air just doesn't seem to move (front corners, particularly the left). Heats well even with aspen or box elder (or pine...).

I'm going to css to 12" all future wood for it for n/s loading. Maybe that will help the pine too.
Yes pine is mostly all we have in our area, pine and juniper species are the most abundant at least; it does the job just fine. It does blacken the glass but a good hot fire in the morning usually clears it up for me. I haven’t touched the glass once this year actually.

Highs are hitting 30-40 range today, I threw in a couple odd pieces of mahogany, a small elm round and some pine, should carry us through the day.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Yes pine is mostly all we have in our area, pine and juniper species are the most abundant at least; it does the job just fine. It does blacken the glass but a good hot fire in the morning usually clears it up for me. I haven’t touched the glass once this year actually.
Well that's good to know... I can keep the centers of the glass pretty clean, but those outsides where the air just doesn't circulate well is the struggle.

Had a few flakes of paper thin creosote floating around outside. Going to pick up a sooteater to run up the chimney. No way I'm going up an 8 pitch with snow to clean top down. Screen up top is pretty clear looking and that's the first place to get buildup, so I'm not overly concerned.

Currently 19 and on the tail end of a weather advisory (got about 6"), going down to 8 tonight. Standard daytime fires of box elder and pine, then ash with the occasional chunk of beech overnight. About to get cold here, Sunday and Monday will struggle to get above zero and into negative double digits overnight.

Also, I think the family is all about to be quarantining... Niece's we saw at Christmas tested positive today, my son started showing symptoms Monday but can't get tested until tomorrow; so there'll be some "close contact" quarantining going on.😡 At least I have a boatload of drywall and painting supply's on hand.

Reactions: MMH
Hope you'll get through this without serious issues.

Thanks, appreciate it. 3 of the 4 of us are immunized, so hopefully it won't be severe symptoms if/when we get it.

Reactions: stoveliker
Well, looks like it is finally going to get a little colder shortly..........................

Tonight
Flurries
18°F

Flurries

Thu
6 Jan
Chance of flurries

16°F*
30%
Chance of flurries
Night
Chance of flurries

7°F
30%
Chance of flurries
Fri
7 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

3°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Clear

-13°F

Clear
Sat
8 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

10°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Periods of snow

9°F

Periods of snow
Sun
9 Jan
Chance of flurries

32°F
70%
Chance of flurries
Night
Cloudy periods

-8°F

Cloudy periods
Mon
10 Jan
Sunny

0°F

Sunny
Night
Clear

-26°F

Clear
Tue
11 Jan
Sunny

1°F

Well, looks like it is finally going to get a little colder shortly..........................

Tonight
Flurries
18°F

Flurries
Thu
6 Jan
Chance of flurries

16°F*
30%
Chance of flurries
Night
Chance of flurries

7°F
30%
Chance of flurries
Fri
7 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

3°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Clear

-13°F

Clear
Sat
8 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

10°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Periods of snow

9°F

Periods of snow
Sun
9 Jan
Chance of flurries

32°F
70%
Chance of flurries
Night
Cloudy periods

-8°F

Cloudy periods
Mon
10 Jan
Sunny

0°F

Sunny
Night
Clear

-26°F

Clear
Tue
11 Jan
Sunny

1°F
I see -7 forecast for our lowest low (we'll get colder) and not much snow unless the Lake Effect shifts north.

The trails are still closed until we get a good 8-10 inches of snow.

Tonight
Flurries
18°F

Flurries
Thu
6 Jan
Chance of flurries

16°F*
30%
Chance of flurries
Night
Chance of flurries

7°F
30%
Chance of flurries
Fri
7 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

3°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Clear

-13°F

Clear
Sat
8 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

10°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Periods of snow

9°F

Periods of snow
Sun
9 Jan
Chance of flurries

32°F
70%
Chance of flurries
Night
Cloudy periods

-8°F

Cloudy periods
Mon
10 Jan
Sunny

0°F

Sunny
Night
Clear

-26°F

Clear
Tue
11 Jan
Sunny

1°F
This looks like it could be nasty.

It appears to me you could load more? (if this is the overnight load)

Stretched last night's pine load till now. Scooped out some ashes (burned some Ash yesterday...), and reloaded with pine for overnight. 45 F now, 38 F low. 39 F tomorrow.
Snow predicted Friday here. Kids are hopeful. I got 3/4 bucket of ashes ready if needed...

It appears to me you could load more? (if this is the overnight load)
Definitely could have loaded more. It's about 40° out and I try to find a balance to not have a bunch of coals to burn down in the morning. I am also trying to master the technique before going full box in cold weather. This load it simply to maintain house temp, which isn't an issue in this weather heating from the basement.

Well that's good to know... I can keep the centers of the glass pretty clean, but those outsides where the air just doesn't circulate well is the struggle.

Had a few flakes of paper thin creosote floating around outside. Going to pick up a sooteater to run up the chimney. No way I'm going up an 8 pitch with snow to clean top down. Screen up top is pretty clear looking and that's the first place to get buildup, so I'm not overly concerned.

Currently 19 and on the tail end of a weather advisory (got about 6"), going down to 8 tonight. Standard daytime fires of box elder and pine, then ash with the occasional chunk of beech overnight. About to get cold here, Sunday and Monday will struggle to get above zero and into negative double digits overnight.

Also, I think the family is all about to be quarantining... Niece's we saw at Christmas tested positive today, my son started showing symptoms Monday but can't get tested until tomorrow; so there'll be some "close contact" quarantining going on.😡 At least I have a boatload of drywall and painting supply's on hand.
Yeah I get the same, corners usually stay coated, I can get them clean ish with a good hot burn but they’re black by the end of the day/night, I’d say 80-90% of my glass stays clean though.

The temp tonight is 34.3, another load of yellow birch with a few splits of maple will provide the heat for tonight.

We didn't put any wood in today but tomorrow we'll put in two loads, I'm thinking it will be more yellow birch and maple. I thinking we should start putting in some ironwood, one load should work.

Hm. Hope they haven't burst?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Having some crisp days lately with temps creeping out of single digits for the highs. Feeding the furnace a diet of Elm and Locust.