What humidity levels are people gonna maintain this winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
Danno77 said:
Even then the lights seem to surge brighter when i walk by wearing a wool sweater. My wife stopped wearing hairspray after the arc from a "lip-shock" caught her whole head on fire.

This is an unfortunate accident if true, but if you are kidding then.... that's freaking hilarious. I have young girls that love it when I rub a fleece jacket on their head to energize their bodies and then they can zap each other.
the head on fire thing is not true. the lights surging when I walk by is factual.

LLigetfa said:
Hurricane said:
...when the inside temp stays constant ?
That's just it, it doesn't stay constant. The colder it is outside, the colder the inside surface of my windows. I raise the temperature in the house and I lower the humidity to prevent condensation on the cold glass.

My point exactly, if we raise the temp inside and lower humidity are we doing more harm than good to our wood work. My daughter got a piano that is wood and I do not want to damage it. I got condensation without a woodstove too! Just trying to understand the reasoning and be smarter.

Rather than raising the temp, another way to lower humidity could be to run a ventilation fan in the bathroom or over the stove. It's good to run the fan during cooking if you have gas or propane, as they impart a good bit of water into the air.

We have the exact opposite problem in our house - rather air-tight, along w/ Propane
Boiler heat. Between wash hanging inside & numerous showers, we actually need
a De-Humdifier more so during the winter to prevent excess condensation on the windows.
Although, I've found that cracking-open our basement window, along w/ running our
bathroon ceiling vent on a very low setting has somewhat helped to bring in some
needed dry winter air, but not too much.

Pot on the stove evaporates 3 or more gallons a week. I have been told here that the stove kettle doesn't amount to anything, but IIRC from chemistry, water expands in volume by 1700 times when it vaporizes. Could be wrong or perhaps this is not helpful, but it is what we do. Also dry clothes in the stove room.

Hogwildz said:
Flatbedford said:
We use a Sears whole house humidifier. I set it at 50%. I think it is this one.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...01&sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y&origin=prod
I also keep a steamer on the stove.

I bought the same one model off ebay new for $16.00 + $16.00 shipping a couple years ago. Did not come with the manual though.
Works great! Do you have the manual for it by chance?

That was pretty cheap. Did it "fall off a truck" or something? I feel like I should charge you about $130 for the manual since you paid so little for yours. :lol:
I will look around for it. As I recall it wasn't very helpful anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.