What have you lost while cutting wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
OK, yesterday it dawns on me that I haven't used my maul in 2 weeks, I have no idea where it is and we've had about 12" of snow in the meantime. I retraced my all my tracks and went to all of the places I've been cutting. No luck. This morning I gave up and went about my business gathering wood. On one of my passes skidding wood to my staging area I see a small red mark in the snow. It was the handle of my maul. Just wondering what anyone else has lost.

About 10 lbs since November... ;-P

I'm not a cutter....Yet.
On the boat I've lost plenty though.

Truck's muffler clamp somewhere in the woodlot.

a couple of wedge hammers

I lost my dog for days.

couple of fingers.

just kidding. i think just a wedge or two. and definitely my nerve a couple of times.

I lost all my help when I said "Come on one more load"

When ever a tool leaves my work shop, I wrap and tie a piece of orange marker tape around it . If I'm cutting wood or fixing the fence, etc. When you get tired or dark jumps on you, it just seems easier to gather up your equipment. I really get pissed when I reach for a tool, and it ain't there.

Lost one of two chain tension nuts off my saw -- a little Husqvarna. Are they a standard size?

pyper said:
Lost one of two chain tension nuts off my saw -- a little Husqvarna. Are they a standard size?

Yes, but they are metric. I used a metric nylock nut and washer on my 51 for awhile but replaced it with the proper flange nut on one of my orders from Baileys. I bought two just in case I lose another one. ;-)

What have you lost while cutting wood?

I've lost this long chain quite a few times but always managed to find it. The spud bar we just misplaced...so I spray paint them hoping they're stand out. btw I don't recommend red.

That chain I use rarely, but when we do it's been a lifesaver, and before I cobbled up a 3PH tool holder carried it in the FEL. Often we'd get busy and forget it was in there and it would end up getting dumped somewhere. Cause we hardly used it when the time came and it was needed too often it started to become a Homer Simpson moment... DOH!

VTHC said:
About 10 lbs since November... ;-P

I lost about 8 over the summer and fall, but have gained some of it back eating and drinking around the holidays. I did lose a splitting wedge once. I painted the remaining ones white so I could find them in the woods. I guess I wasn't thinking about snow at the time.

Jack Straw said:
OK, yesterday it dawns on me that I haven't used my maul in 2 weeks, I have no idea where it is and we've had about 12" of snow in the meantime. I retraced my all my tracks and went to all of the places I've been cutting. No luck. This morning I gave up and went about my business gathering wood. On one of my passes skidding wood to my staging area I see a small red mark in the snow. It was the handle of my maul. Just wondering what anyone else has lost.

I lost my humanity, such that it was.

Monkey Wrench said:
When ever a tool leaves my work shop, I wrap and tie a piece of orange marker tape around it . If I'm cutting wood or fixing the fence, etc. When you get tired or dark jumps on you, it just seems easier to gather up your equipment. I really get pissed when I reach for a tool, and it ain't there.

My tools have a coat of blaze orange marker paint.

Not quite lost but I have a five foot crowbar under a 1000 lb hedge trunk that I can't move, under two feet of snow a quater of a mile from the house across a bean field that I can't travel on.

Two medium stihl felling wedges, one 16 inch eastwing camp axe, and a tape measure. I say I lost them, but someone actually took them from the hood of my truck while I was helping a first time saw user not kill himself or his son at the group cutting area. You know what they say, no good deed goes unnoticed, and someone sure noticed I wasnt watching my stuff.

Cutter said:
Not quite lost but I have a five foot crowbar under a 1000 lb hedge trunk that I can't move, under two feet of snow a quater of a mile from the house across a bean field that I can't travel on.

And I thought Haiti had a problem !

I gained two large nails by way of the rear tractor tire. ( I wish i would have lost two nails instead). Other than that a couple chainsaw nuts and a scrench that i can remember.

Jack Straw said:
My stupid round gas can.

Lost more than a few nuts on the chainsaw until I finally realized just how much I needed to tighten them.

I also lost my old pulp hook one day when I had it attached to my trailer . . . was mentioning the fact later that day at the local saw/small engine dealer and it turned out he had traveled the same way I did later that day, saw the pulp hook in the road and picked it up and had it right there at the shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.