What Happened to my buck ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crater22

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2014
brookville, indiana
Last week the blower on my Buck 91 died. Based on suggestions from Buck, I replaced the motor for a cost of 175.00 bucks (?). Did not do a thing. Another call to Buck and they said. O it must be the Rheostat. Sent me one, installed and the only thing that did, was make the motor hum a little louder. E-mail sent to Buck with no reply. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions ? Thankfully the weather has not been to bad and I have been able to get by with the heat pump, but a got a bunch of wood stacked on my porch and deck that I sure would like to burn.

Appreciate in advance for any ideas.

Thanks guys.

Last week the blower on my Buck 91 died. Based on suggestions from Buck, I replaced the motor for a cost of 175.00 bucks (?). Did not do a thing. Another call to Buck and they said. O it must be the Rheostat. Sent me one, installed and the only thing that did, was make the motor hum a little louder. E-mail sent to Buck with no reply. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions ? Thankfully the weather has not been to bad and I have been able to get by with the heat pump, but a got a bunch of wood stacked on my porch and deck that I sure would like to burn.

Appreciate in advance for any ideas.

Thanks guys.
Have you checked the voltage at your outlet? Have you checked each component including the temperature switch.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Does the blower wheel turn freely? It’s usually the bearings in it that go bad and wrecks the motor.

Last edited:
A new motor attached to a fan with frozen bearings would be consistent with op's symptoms.

Turn it off and try to turn the fan by hand like webby said. If it doesn't spin easily, bearings.

Reactions: webby3650
A new motor attached to a fan with frozen bearings would be consistent with op's symptoms.

Turn it off and try to turn the fan by hand like webby said. If it doesn't spin easily, bearings.
I am pretty sure the only bearings are on the motor

The motor mounts to a squirrel cage of sorts correct? One end attaches to the motor, the other end sits in a bearing or something similar,correct? I’ve only had 1 buck and it’s not a product we sell.

The motor mounts to a squirrel cage of sorts correct? One end attaches to the motor, the other end sits in a bearing or something similar,correct? I’ve only had 1 buck and it’s not a product we sell.
I don't think there is a bearing on the other end. But I am not sure

Could it be the switch? Maybe there's only enough current getting through to make the motor hum a bit, but not turn?
crater, do you know anyone whose good with electrical? Maybe they could test my theory...jump the switch and see if the motor runs, or test for power at various points in the circuit?
Did you examine all the wiring in there, looking for shorts, bare wires, burnt-looking contacts and so on?

Not much to go wrong here. Make sure the blower spins freely. Put the switch on manual. If the motor doesn't run, check for 110VAC at the switch and then the motor connection at the thermostat.
What Happened to my buck ?

Yeah, check that ground connection, too. It bypasses the thermostat when the switch is in the "on" position, so that's not it.
Check the switch for burnt look or smell..with a corroded connection, resistance gets high and it would get hot.

Reactions: Mech e
Bench test the motor outside of the stove, with no fan blade attached. No switch or rheostat either. Just attach it to a cord with a plug. If it works well then examine the fan blades for warping or possible binding with the fan cowling.

PS: That appears to be quite a markup by Buck for just the motor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mech e
Bench test the motor outside of the stove, with no fan blade attached. No switch or rheostat either. Just attach it to a cord with a plug. If it works well then examine the fan blades for warping or possible binding with the fan cowling.

PS: That appears to be quite a markup by Buck for just the motor.
Not really, for motor and housing.. https://buckstove.com/store?olsPage=t/model-91&page=3
1580595086562.png

Maybe, but why get a new blower housing?

Maybe, but why get a new blower housing?
No reason, unless something was wrong with it but that's unlikely. At any rate, I think it's a moot point since he already got it.

Just wanted to thank every body again, for the helpful information and recommendations. I must report that I am a idiot. After check all the wires, etc. it was discovered that the new blower arrived with a bent fan. I was my fault for not checking it before I installed it. But actually who would have thought to check for that on a brand new blower ordered from Buck directly. I know, just about every one. LOL..

Hey seriously, thanks again guys. Stay warm.

I must report that I am a idiot.
Welcome to the club. We should start a thread, the "2019-2020 Idiots Non-performance Thread." ;lol
Glad you're back in business. :cool:

crater22, just curious how old is your buck?
I installed mine new in 2010 and just wondered how long yours lasted.
I installed this, https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html
to get a lower fan speed and it works great!
Hey, davidmc...been a while. :)
Yeah, even on low the Buck fan wasn't exactly quiet. I'm sure part of that was because it was in a pretty small room, maybe 10x20'.
That 91 was made in 2007, but it's been unused for about three years. The was some slight corrosion behind the bricks in the lower back corners when I pulled them out, but it would be a long time until that 1/4" plate would ever rust through.
I thought of trying to get it for a guy down the street, who runs the only old smoker-bomber stove left in the 'hood. Luckily, he doesn't burn all that often. His back is a bit dodgy though, so he doesn't feel he would burn often enough to make a stove switch worth the hassle.

crater22, just curious how old is your buck?
I installed mine new in 2010 and just wondered how long yours lasted.
I installed this, https://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html
to get a lower fan speed and it works great!

David, sorry for delay. The stove was installed brand new 5 years ago. the old motor was shot for sure. I have tried the speed control thing but I did not work for me. I have a very open floor plan so I need to crank that puppy up sometimes. It sure do make some noise. LOL. But it does heat.......