What generation is this Crawford Royal Village cookstove and can I/should I get it repaired?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

roguetrader

Sep 25, 2024
Waldoboro, Maine
This cookstove came with the house - the firebox need a new gate and other repairs and the many of the bolts are frozen. I think is ti a nice stove, but know nothing about such matters. any advices welcomed.

[Hearth.com] What generation is this Crawford Royal Village cookstove and can I/should I get it repaired?[Hearth.com] What generation is this Crawford Royal Village cookstove and can I/should I get it repaired?[Hearth.com] What generation is this Crawford Royal Village cookstove and can I/should I get it repaired?[Hearth.com] What generation is this Crawford Royal Village cookstove and can I/should I get it repaired?[Hearth.com] What generation is this Crawford Royal Village cookstove and can I/should I get it repaired?[Hearth.com] What generation is this Crawford Royal Village cookstove and can I/should I get it repaired?[Hearth.com] What generation is this Crawford Royal Village cookstove and can I/should I get it repaired?

Welcome. The stove looks to be from the early 1900s. Yes, it can be repaired. It may take a little searching but there are several antique stove restorers. Here is a link:
If this is only burning wood, the grate could be replace temporarily with a heavy 1/8" stainless screen or a maybe a sheet of heavy perforated metal.

"should" depends on you
If you're attached to it, sure. If not it may be sellable.

Thanks for the advice. we've burned wood for 2 winters, just have to tend it carefully because the draw cannot be adjusted. Another question - on the front cover of the firebox there is a grate knob/slider to open/close the grate( when repaired) directly to the right of that is a screw on a round impression in the metal which I think has some sort of insulation in it, but I've no ide what purpose it has. any information would help, thanks.

WHOOPS - I'd burn coal here if it was safe and effective. I grew up in coal country (Pennsy)and my family burned it as a kid for heat.
Regardless of coal or wood, getting the intake air control fixed is a priority. Coal should really have the properly functioning grate system.

What a gorgeous cookstove! I am jealous. My wife and I have an old cookstove at our cabin that we are in love with. (but not nearly as nice as yours)

I agree with Begreen when he suggested just throwing a steel grate in there, all that matters is if the ash can fall through, and that there is enough structural integrity to not drop the wood into the ash box (which is obviously the case, even as-is).

I would HIGHLY recommend fixing it up, and using it full-time. Not only is a cookstove a great secondary source of heat for your lovely wife in the kitchen, but it is also a joy to use, once you figure it out. we will often fire ours up about twice a day, during the morning fireup, it takes about 10-15 minutes to get up to cooking temp. We cook brekky, boil a large kettle for hot beverages, and we fill the water-jacket (yours has a sizable one!) for washing up / other hot water needs. We will also bake a couple loaves of sourdough, because the stove stays hot for hours after the burn. We will then use the waterjacket water for washing up, and morning showers. All of this is accomplished with 3-4 meager sticks of wood, split up into kindling! Our cookstove is the heart of our offgrid cabin, and we love it!

These cookstoves are gold! They will truly be the hearth of your home if you let them be.

Tip from experience: these things love kindling size wood. Don't chuck full size wood in there unless you are just trying to smolder it for a long period of time. "Kindling" for cookstoves are about 1/4 the size of regular kindling, split it up small! Get it up to temp fast and then throw in a couple thicker pieces of kindling to keep the heat. Once you get a good fire roaring, close off the vents on the left side to the firebox, then use the lever on the back right to close off the main flu to about 3/4 to push most of the hot air and smoke around your oven and waterjacket then up and out the bottom of the stove. This heats the entire unit, and warms the oven & waterjacket. Close it all the way once your cook top has reached cooking temp.

Another quick tip: these stoves were meant to be used, if there are any seized parts, they will likely loosen up after a good fireup of the stove. Don't be too scared of it, these things are built well. Almost all cookstoves that have been sitting unused seize up.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention! Just like a normal stove, each fireup of the day after the first one takes about 1/2 the amount of wood to get up to temp, so you are looking at a roughly 2 stick meal. Pretty incredible if you ask me.