What are my choices ? Looking to get big insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi, My daughter and her husband just got a house that 2200 sq ft and i'm trying to lined up inserts to chose for them. The house has very high cathedral ceilings and 3 bedrooms upstairs. I think it's close to 3000 sq ft with extra space . The opening is huge in double sided masonry fireplace and can accommodate anything . 8 inch flue is not a problem, Straight run. If it was me , i would put BK freestanding King and be done. They want insert, of course . I have Travis large flush hybrid at my house and they want the same. I like the unite but would try to see something else in action. Looking for advice on biggest cat insert. might be 8 inch.

Here some pics

Attachments

• What are my choices ? Looking to get  big insert.
    IMG_2575.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 122
Just checked out qudra fire 5100 and it claims 14 hours of burn times. A what? I have 3 cu ft and don't see it happening with no cat stove.

burn time is subjective. they could just mean the time from when you loaded it up till the last coal burns out, or till the flames die out, or till you're able to get another fire started without a match

burn time is subjective. they could just mean the time from when you loaded it up till the last coal burns out, or till the flames die out, or till you're able to get another fire started without a match
This one would be until you can say it had fire in it

Burntime is subjective, even for cat stoves. Our 3 cu ft stove can do a 14+ hr burn with the right wood and a low demand for heat during the day. This would be typical during shoulder season when it can be in the 40s at night and sunny during the day. The same stove in the dead of winter on a cold day may only deliver an 8 hr burntime because it's being pushed harder for more heat.

In big stoves you might want to also look at the big Regency 5100.

^^ Wow, when did Kuma come out with an insert, let alone an 8" Cat Sequoia version? Slightly smaller than that firebox is my Osburn 2400i. It has a 3.4cuft firebox vs the Kuma which is 3.6. It has a 6" and its non-cat. My Osburn burns pretty dang hot.

Dimitry, I see you are in CT. I don't think there is a dealer for KUMA here. I went to Blazing Hot Stoves and worked with the owner Brian. Stand up guy and has a bunch of stoves to look at.

If you are looking to go BK, he doesnt carry them, but I don't see how you could go wrong with a Princess Insert. Should be enough stove for the house.

Princes may not be enough for 3000 sf in CT. I would try kuma.

I looked at that Sequoia because I have a big fireplace. In the end I decided that 12-14 hour burn times did not fit our work schedules, and went with the Princess, which has done the job better than expected. The Sequoia does look like a nice stove, though.