What’s this in my basement?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wny123

May 2, 2022
Rochester NY
Hi, I have what looks like a fireplace in my basement. What do you think? The house was built in 1848 from hemlock timbers and constructed using mortise and tenon joints in western NY. Was this a summer kitchen? It seems to be partially under what is now a staircase- there is no chimney, and this is the outer wall of the house. Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

What’s this in my basement?! What’s this in my basement?! What’s this in my basement?!

Hi, I have what looks like a fireplace in my basement. What do you think? The house was built in 1848 from hemlock timbers and constructed using mortise and tenon joints in western NY. Was this a summer kitchen? It seems to be partially under what is now a staircase- there is no chimney, and this is the outer wall of the house. Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 295322 View attachment 295323 View attachment 295324
Is there an opening in the top where it would have connected to a chimney? Is there evidence there was a chimney above it at one point? It certainly looks like an old fireplace but many in our area look like that in the basement but we're just foundations for fireplaces above.

In the town of Pound Ridge, NY several houses there had basement fireplaces. The winters were harsh and people lived in the basement during the coldest part in order to take advantage of the insulating properties of the earth surrounding the foundation. These pictures resemble what I saw when visiting some of these pre-revolutionary war homes.

Reactions: VintageGal
Is there an opening in the top where it would have connected to a chimney? Is there evidence there was a chimney above it at one point? It certainly looks like an old fireplace but many in our area look like that in the basement but we're just foundations for fireplaces above.
Thank you!
I cleared out the spiders and looked up inside… no hole. I couldn’t find any evidence of there ever being a chimney either. I guess it was just a support for a fireplace above. In that case, I find it curious that it’s not a solid support system and instead hollowed out like a fireplace. Why did they do that?

Thank you!
I cleared out the spiders and looked up inside… no hole. I couldn’t find any evidence of there ever being a chimney either. I guess it was just a support for a fireplace above. In that case, I find it curious that it’s not a solid support system and instead hollowed out like a fireplace. Why did they do that?
I honestly am not sure but I see them all the time. If that is what it was there would still be evidence of a chimney above