West Virginia Fishing Vacation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplewoodshelby

Hearth Supporter
Mar 10, 2009
WV
OK, Its clear that i have limited knowledge of hydronics so if anyone on this site would like a little vacation and knows what they are doing with hooking up a very simple system, please get in touch. You do not need to be certified but you do need to know what your doing. I will be able to tell that much. I'm located near Beckley WV and I am willing to trade some quality fishing for some quality knowledge on piping. Below is my company and we can work out the details over the phone on what type of trip you will get for setting up my system.

I'm not looking for a cheap route. The problem is I dont think any of the heating guys in Beckley area know what a wood boiler looks like. Mostly heat pump and furnace installers

www.newrivertrophyoutfitters.com

You live in beautiful country, we have been down mountain biking there a number of times. Unfortunately, my skills are elsewhere.

That's one heck of an offer. Are you simply looking for piping/system layout guidance or actual install help? If you give us some details on your planned system I bet you'd be surprised by how much information you can get online...

West Michigan
Total Posts: 511
Joined 2008-08-22 That’s one heck of an offer. Are you simply looking for piping/system layout guidance or actual install help? If you give us some details on your planned system I bet you’d be surprised by how much information you can get online…

I'm mostly looking for piping system layout guidance but will entertain any ideas. I have found it hard to describe my system on here and then you get many ideas and the terminology throws me off sometimes. Someone with experience could come here and look at this and in 20 minutes tell me what I need to do or do it for me depending on what we work out. I can do the install but I want to know that my system is SAFE and as effiicient as it can possibly be. I have called around to several heating installers and have basically got the same answer. "We dont see many wood boilers but would be happy to try". Not very comforting. The house is already layed out with hydronic baseboards that are run by a propane boiler. I am basically going to hook into the existing propane boiler with my wood boiler and use the propane for backup. What I am looking for is someone to look at my existing system and let me know what they think and to layout my DHW as the stove has a built in coil. Like I said it is a fairly simple system but as I look at it I have many questions that people with these systems already know.

Gotcha. I wouldn't be excited about paying someone to come out and "give it a try". I've read your other posts and it does sound like your system might be somewhat unique with the multiple tanks you've mentioned.

I'm sure we'll get you squared away. I sure wish I had some business travel coming up in your area. I'd be more than willing to swing in and give my two cents. But my summer is looking kinda quiet. Can you post some photo's perhaps?

Which boiler do you have or are planning to get? Most have at least a rudimentry piping layout. I installed a TARM unit and followed their layout almost to a T (no pun intend.ed) and it has worked out very well. You could probably substitute any boiler in the diagram. There are may options as you can see on this board.

http://www.energyking.com/hot-water-furnace-specs.htm

Above is the boiler that I purchased. The 45EKB. I have seen one these installed and got such a great deal I could not refuse. The one installed is set up way different than my setup righ t now so I'm trying not to change too much and work with my original set up.
I guess my biggeest questions are for the dhw. Ifyou read my previous posts you will see my question. I guess its not critical to hook up both water tanks for hot water but it would be nice. The small tank runs the kitchen so I could forego messing with it. Or maybe pipe the smaller hot water tank to the big one which will hook to my boiler. Leave the small one on but when i draw water from the kitchen tank it will draw from the larger tank which is already hot so with this thinking hte smaller tank will not have to work as hard

Status
Not open for further replies.