Water softener issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Calling on any water softener experts. I have a Ecowater 3500R30 that is about 12 years old. Recently, after water usage, I can hear a small amount of trickling in what sounds like the resin tank. It sounds like it’s dripping from the control head down back into the tank. It last for a few minutes, then it stops. It doesn’t always do it, but it’s started again last night. Any ideas?

Calling on any water softener experts. I have a Ecowater 3500R30 that is about 12 years old. Recently, after water usage, I can hear a small amount of trickling in what sounds like the resin tank. It sounds like it’s dripping from the control head down back into the tank. It last for a few minutes, then it stops. It doesn’t always do it, but it’s started again last night. Any ideas?

My backwashing filter (same head as a water sorftener) would dribble to the backwash line when the seals and/or piston had begun to leak. I replaced seals but ultimately needed a new piston to stop the trickle.

You have a stack of like 6 seals inside the head that can leak.

I’m now starting to get air in my water lines. Pretty sure it’s coming from the water softener somehow. Possibly a bad air check valve???

I’m now starting to get air in my water lines. Pretty sure it’s coming from the water softener somehow. Possibly a bad air check valve???
That's from your bad seals, the thing is sucking air during the draw cycle. You're lucky it's not overflowing the brine tank.... yet.

That's from your bad seals, the thing is sucking air during the draw cycle. You're lucky it's not overflowing the brine tank.... yet.
Bad seals where? I had a tech come out and increase the backwash time, essentially making sure no air was left after the recharge cycle. He checked everything and said it appeared fine otherwise. No more air.

I’ve been told all water softeners suck some air during the brine draw. It gets expelled out during the backwash cycle

Bad seals where? I had a tech come out and increase the backwash time, essentially making sure no air was left after the recharge cycle. He checked everything and said it appeared fine otherwise. No more air.
Inside the head unit you have a piston and a series of seals that determine what mode the softener is in. The piston moves and will tear up the seals over time. If the tech fixed your issue without replacing your seals then that’s great. The seals will eventually need to be replaced. Take a look at YouTube for some great examples.

Inside the head unit you have a piston and a series of seals that determine what mode the softener is in. The piston moves and will tear up the seals over time. If the tech fixed your issue without replacing your seals then that’s great. The seals will eventually need to be replaced. Take a look at YouTube for some great examples.
I just had the head unit replaced last year. So I’m not sure that’s the issue.

Reactions: Highbeam
I believe this issue has been resolved. It appeared to be a well issue. We had the fitting at the well head changed and it seems to have resolved it. Fingers crossed. Air was getting into the water lines, and the sounds I was hearing was the tank equalizing due to the increased air pressure inside. We no longer have air and everything appears to operating fine now. Like I said, fingers crossed.

Reactions: Highbeam